Taieri Gorge Railway And The Otago Peninsula Day Trip From Dunedin
OverviewExplore the South Island’s gorgeous scenery on a full-day excursion from Dunedin. In the morning, travel aboard the Taieri Gorge Railway through stunning mountain landscapes en route to Pukerangi. Then return to Dunedin for an afternoon tour of the Otago Peninsula by minivan. Get personalized attention from your knowledgeable guide on this small-group tour limited to 19 people.
Know More about this tourAfter pickup at your Dunedin hotel or cruise port, transfer to the Dunedin Railway Station where you have 30 minutes to stroll around before departure. Take in the ornate Renaissance Revival architecture of the historic train station, known as Gingerbread George, then board your train for the 4-hour round-trip journey to Pukerangi.
Your train steams along the Taieri Plains and into the mountains, chugging over bridges and viaducts that span spectacular ravines such as the Taieri Gorge. The train slows down at especially scenic spots so that you can snap some photos. Enjoy a stop or two along the route where you can stretch your legs and enjoy the scenery.
As your train maneuvers along the curves of the railway carved into the rugged mountains. Your train operator provides lively commentary about the history of the region and its wilderness. In Pukerangi, you have about 15 minutes to walk around while the engine is switched for the return journey.
Travel in a comfortable, heated carriage that is equipped with large windows and restrooms; open-air platform cars offer unobstructed views. If you want a bite to eat, the onboard cafe sells a variety of sandwiches, snacks and beverages.
Upon your return to Dunedin, your guide picks you up in a comfortable minivan to take you around the Otago Peninsula. Your knowledgeable guide takes you to some of the most beautiful beaches in New Zealand. Your guide returns you to Dunedin in the late afternoon to end your tour.
Inclusions for Taieri Gorge Railway And The Otago Peninsula Day Trip From Dunedin
- Local guide
- Train ticket
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel/Port pickup and drop-off
- Lunch (if option selected)
Exclusions for Taieri Gorge Railway And The Otago Peninsula Day Trip From Dunedin
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Bring a waterproof jacket, sunglasses, hat and closed-toe shoes suitable for walking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
A maximum of 19 people per tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Dunedin Shore Excursion: Dunedin Sightseeing, Larnach Castle and Cadburys Chocolate Factory
- Otago Peninsula Guided Coastal Walk Including the Chasm and Lover's Leap
- Dunedin Shore Excursion: Coastal Train and Olveston House
- Dunedin Self Guided Audio Tour
- Olveston Historic Home Guided Tour
- Theomin Art Collection Guided Tour
- Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula Wildlife Tour