Tastes And Traditions In Penang Best.Day.Ever. - George TownWrite a Review
A tour that will contribute to the culinary nirvana and gastronomic adventures that you can possibly experience once in Malaysia. You will taste the excellent street food at the Penang Street, which has very well preserved the flavors and tastes of the city. You will get to taste the authentic Malaysian cuisines too and savor them, while getting a briefing of their tastes and flavors as you savor each bite of it. Oh and also, the tour includes drinks as well!
- Savour more than a dozen tastings of traditional Malaysian cuisine and Penang street food
- Talk with local food vendors and learn how authentic Penang dishes such as assamlaksa, char kuey teow, and cendol are prepared
- Taste Southeast Asian fruits such as mangosteen, rambutan, and, if they're in season, those infamous durians
- Explore old city streets and learn about Penang’s preserved heritage sites
- Visit a Penang market to purchase treats to take back home with you.
Know More about this tour
Your Penang food tour starts with a breakfast visit to one of the oldest traditional Malaysian Chinese coffee shops, known locally as a kopitiam. This shop dates back to 1940, before the battles of the Malayan Campaign and Malayan Emergency. You will sample the traditional Malay breakfast of nasilemak (rice cooked in coconut milk) with chili paste and a boiled egg. You’ll also try prawn fritters and lobak, a five-spiced deep-fried pork roll that’s a delicacy in Nonya cuisine, while visiting one of Penang’s most popular lobak vendors (who also represented Penang at the Adelaide Food & Wine Festival!). Next, you’ll head to one of the oldest markets in Penang, filled with various kinds of seafood, fruits, vegetables, and dried goods. Try some of the local seasonal produce such as rambutan, mangosteen, and dukong and, if you’re daring enough, the king of Malaysian fruit: durian. You’ll either love this fruit or hate it! You can also sample a variety of preserved fruits,including the nutmeg fruits for which Penang is famous. There will be 8 to 10 stops in total, where you will taste delightful snacks, drinks, and desserts. You will explore historical streets with preserved heritage buildings and hidden back lanes. Along the way, your foodie guide will explain Penang’s street food culture and the heritage that brings such pride to Penangnites. You will be able to savour more than a dozen food items during this three-hour Penang city tour. Penang showcases some of the best street food of Malay, Chinese, and Indian flavours — you’ll have the opportunity to taste assamlaksa (rice noodles in sour fish soup), char kuey teow (fried flat rice noodles), and murtabak (an Indian Muslim bread with meat fillings) in Penang’s oldest Indian Muslim restaurant, dating back to 1907. Watch how crullers, called yutiao, are made, and feast your eyes on the large array of salted fish being sunned by a local salt fish vendor in one of Penang’s earliest low-income housing estates. When it comes time for dessert, dig into a cool bowl of cendol, a serving of ice shavings with green doughy strips and red beans covered with coconut milk. Make sure you also try the local favourite non-alcoholic drinks: hot tehtarik, (pulled tea), lime juice with sour plum, nutmeg juice, and many more. Your tour ends at the market, where you will have the opportunity to “tapau” (pack) some of the foodstuffs you want to bring home with you!
Note: Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
Inclusions for Tastes And Traditions In Penang Best.Day.Ever.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Exclusions for Tastes And Traditions In Penang Best.Day.Ever.
- Alcoholic beverages
- travel insurance
- shopping expenses
- tips and additional food and drinks
- If you cancel between 0 hrs To 48 hrs before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 100%
- If you cancel between 2 days To 180 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 0%
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.