The 1956 Revolution Memorial Tour From Budapest
OverviewHistorians still argue what to call the events that were triggered by a peaceful solidarity rally of Hungarian students with the Polish people on October 23rd, 1956: a rebellion, revolt, uprising, popular uprising, revolution, counter-revolution, or War of Independence.The best definition comes from Sndor Mrais poem, Angel from heaven,written for the Christmas of 1956: A nation said: Enough!.The events of 1956 shook not only the communist world, but had lasting effects on world politics. The brief period of breathing freedom at last gave courage and strength to Hungarians to survive the rest of foreign tyranny until it finally collapsed in 1989.
- Family friendly
- Multiple departure times and locations available
- Free drinks included
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tour
Participants meet our expert historian guide at Bem tr, on the Buda side, at the Jozef Bem statue, or by request we can pick you up at your hotel. This place was the gathering point of the student march on October 23rd, where the celebration of solidarity led to events escalating into a new independence movement. Here well have a coffee at the Bambi Pressz caf, considered by many as the last city stronghold of communistic catering culture.
From Bem tr we will proceed to Kossuth tr, a central place of major events of the 1956 Revolution including the massacre on October 25th and also pay tribute to Imre Nagy, the martyr Prime Minister, by his statue on Vrtank tere.
Our next destination is the Magyar Radio building on Brdy Sndor utca, where violence erupted in the late evening of October 23rd and street fights started. Well also visit the nearby National Museum, where Sndor Petfi recited his famous poem of Shall we be slaves or free? on March 15th, 1848. It gives us a good opportunity to draw parallels between the two revolutions, and see how the 56-ers modelled their uprising on the 1848 one.
We will finish our tour at Corvin kz, the major resistance center, where youngsters fought with Molotov cocktails against invading Russian tanks. A final drink will follow with more questions and informal talk.
Inclusions for The 1956 Revolution Memorial Tour From Budapest
- A communism-related souvenir
- Two free drinks, and a light snack.
- Hotel pickup
Exclusions for The 1956 Revolution Memorial Tour From Budapest
- Other drinks or food, public transportation tickets or pass
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
During our private tour we will visit five iconic places connected to the fast-evolving events, and reconstruct those days from a personal perspective
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.