The Best Of Far West Crete Full-Day Small Group Tour From Chania With Food Tasting
OverviewHead to Sfakia on the far west side of the island, where towering mountains, deep gorges, tales of adventure, and local cuisine await. Youll get it all on this full-day Crete tour that combines everything you could want from a great Greek day: hiking, cooking, wine-tasting, cheese-sampling, storytelling and more, to make up one epic, authentic adventure!
- Family friendly
- Free drinks included
- Free snacks included
- Led by a local guide
- Small group ensures personal service
Know More about this tour
On this Chania tour, well leave behind the city and its Venetian charm as we venture into a completely different landscape, going deep into the unique region of Sfakia.
The White Mountains will be our stomping ground for a whole day of activities for the whole family, including a cheese- and yoghurt-tasting, a hike through a gorge, a hands-on cooking experience, a visit to a one-of-a-kind 'herbal sanctuary,' and a wine-tasting to finish off the day.
Sfakia is a region of southern Crete, and took its name from the larger village located there. The entire region is characterised by rugged mountainous beauty combined in a unique way with the sea. From the White Mountains, large green canyons descend to the Libyan Sea, giving the impression to anyone who looks from above that
Our first stop of the day on this Crete tour will be at a family-owned, small-scale cheese factory, where youll get an introduction to and tasting of Cretan cheese and yoghurt. Youll will learn all about the traditional local production from this expert cheesemonger and have the opportunity to sample what locals consider the best yoghurt on the island!
After this light breakfast, well move on to the Askifou Plateau, a natural valley surrounded by the White Mountains. From an altitude of 730 metres, well start our hike of the Imbros gorge. The gorge is about eight kilometres, and the average walking time is about two and a half hours. Dont worry though, its an easy walk for the whole family, with many stops for photos and learning about the flora and fauna that well encounter along the way.
Your Crete adventure will continue as we visit Kallikratis, a village off the typical tourist path and which has an intriguing history. It has never lived under permanent foreign rule, as its residents have a long tradition fighting for freedom and are well-known for their bravery. The area also boasts gorges, ravines, plateaus, and small abandoned villages.
Next up, time to experience local culture through gastronomy and a hands-on workshop! Among the flavours and aromas of local food and good wine, well unveil the secrets of Cretan cuisine as you enjoy a traditional meal.
After lunch, well head to a 'herbal sanctuary.' Known for their therapeutic qualities from ancient times but also for the special taste they give to local dishes, Cretan herbs will fascinate you with their abundance (over 1.800 plant species) and qualities. In a little caf, well meet the owners who distill Cretan herbs the traditional way and offer high-quality herbal products in their shop. And yes, we are going to try some of their concoctions!
The end of the day will find us with a glass of wine in-hand as we visit one of the best wineries on Crete. Here, well get to taste four different wine varieties in a cellar that is in itself a setting for a ritualistic experience. A fitting finale in Cretes far west!
Inclusions for The Best Of Far West Crete Full-Day Small Group Tour From Chania With Food Tasting
- Local English-speaking guide
- Cheese and yogurt samples, two-course meal (meat and veggie options), sweets, fruit
- 4 different wine tastings, fresh orange juice for the children
Exclusions for The Best Of Far West Crete Full-Day Small Group Tour From Chania With Food Tasting
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please wear comfortable walking shoes, and dress appropriately for hiking and the weather
You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Guided Tour of Cathedral of Holy Trinity
- Privat Airport Transfer Sri lanka From Bandaranayake International Airport
- Red Dot Design Museum Admission Ticket
- Sombai Infused Cambodian Liqueur: Workshop Visit and Liqueur Tasting
- Selvatura Park: Hummingbird Garden and Insect Museum Tour
- Private One-Way Transfer: Hurghada Airport to Hurghada Hotels