The Perth Mint: Guided Heritage Tour And Gold Pour
OverviewThe Perth Mint offers a unique combination of attractions which allow you to experience all the magic, allure and wonder of gold.Founded in 1899 on the cusp of the greatest gold rush in Australias history, the Mint is custodian to one of Western Australias oldest heritage sites and is a magnificent reminder of the States golden beginnings.Bringing the story of Western Australian gold to life, the darkened halls of the Gold Exhibition offer multimedia presentations, interactive displays, historic images and aged artefacts, which all combine to form the backdrop to the array of dazzling pure gold exhibits.Embark on the emotive journey of gold discovery, marvel at the largest gold coin ever made, view an impressive collection of natural gold nuggets, watch how molten gold is poured to form a solid gold bar, discover the value of your weight in gold, and much more!
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Ideal choice for families
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
Know More about this tour
Guided Heritage Talk
Make the most of your visit to The Perth Mint by joining one of the hourly guided talks. The grand heritage building, heavily secured vaults and original melting house each provide the cues for many extraordinary stories about Western Australia's golden past and the Mint's rich history of refining gold and issuingpriceless gold bars and coins.
The Gold Exhibition
The Mint's Gold Exhibition is a world-class destination which brings the history of Western Australian gold, and The Perth Mint, to life. Offering a unique combination of attractions, it gives you the rare opportunity to experience the emotive journey of gold discovery. The inspiring story of the search for gold unfolds in a multimedia extravaganza, with interactive displays, historic images and aged artefacts forming the backdrop to aglittering array of pure gold exhibits.
Marvel at the largest coin ever made, weighing one tonne of pure gold; view Australia's most dazzling display of natural gold nuggets; watch molten gold being poured to form a gleaming solid gold bar; handle more than $700,000 worth of gold bullion and much more!
Record Breaking Coin
The centrepiece of the Gold Exhibition is the Australian Kangaroo One Tonne Gold Coin, the largest and most valuable coin ever made. Tipping the scale at a massive one tonne of 99.99% pure gold, this colossal coin measures 80cm wide and more than 12cm deep.Holding a prestigious Guinness World Record, this monumental masterpiece is valued at more than $50million and is showcased in all its golden glory on a revolving platform.
Watch a Gold Pour
Witness the amazing spectacle of a traditional gold pour in The Perth Mint's original melting house, during which pure gold is heated to molten temperatures and transformed into a gleaming solid gold bar.
Australias Largest Natural Nugget Collection
Many early prospectors spent years enduring theharsh conditions of the Australian outback in search of the illusive gold nugget. Marvel at Australia's most dazzling collection of natural nuggets,including Newmont's Normandy Nugget, the second largest gold nugget in existence, weighing an impressive 25.5 kilograms (820 ounces).
Worth Your Weight in Gold?
Ever wondered what your weight is worth in gold? Step onto the special scales to find out!
The Perth Mint Shop
The Perth Mint Shop is located in the Mint's original gold receiving room.Here you willdiscover a treasure trove of gold, silver and platinum coins, natural gold nuggets, unique jewellery, precious stones and an exclusive range of gifts and souvenirs.
Inclusions for The Perth Mint: Guided Heritage Tour And Gold Pour
- Admission fee
- Tour guide
- Entry to the Gold Exhibition
Exclusions for The Perth Mint: Guided Heritage Tour And Gold Pour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
The Perth Mint is located at 310 Hay Street (cnr Hill Street) in East Perth, a short walk from Perth's city centre and many leading hotels and accommodation houses. You can use the free Central Area Transit (CAT) bus service to visit the Mint. Chose the Red CAT bus (click here for route map) and depart at The Perth Mint stop (Number R06).
Open 7 days from 9.00am to 5.00pm
Public holidays from 9.00am to 5.00pm
New Year's Day, Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
An exhibition guide brochure is available in 8 languages (Chinese, English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese and Korean).
Wheelchair access and special restroom facilities. A wheelchair is available for loan, if required.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Perth City of Lights Dinner Cruise
- Perth and Fremantle Tour Including Fremantle Prison and Dinner
- Pinnacles and Swan Valley Day Trip from Perth Including Caversham Wildlife Park, Vineyard Lunch, Pinnacles and Sandboarding
- Perth Zoo General Entry Ticket and Sightseeing Cruise
- Claremont Heritage Tour from Perth
- Perth Shore Excursion: Fremantle Hop-On Hop-Off Tram Tour