The Slave Trade In Lisbon - A Historical Walking Tour
OverviewOn this small group 3 hour walking tour, you will learn how, in the 15th century, Portugal created the Atlantic Slave Trade, and how slavery went hand in hand with the journeys of exploration Portugal is most famous for.This educational experience cover the locations in Lisbon's historical city center associated with the Slave Trade and African History, but will also address Portugal's contemporary History and the recent fall of the country's colonial empire in the mid 1970's.
Know More about this tour
In the first half of the 15th century Portugal, under the guidance of Prince Henry the Navigator, began what we now refer to as the Atlantic Slave Trade. This trade saw between 12 to 14 million Africans sold into slavery and taken across the ocean to the Americas, it was a crime against the humanity of these individuals that lasted for four centuries.
In this walking tour you learn just how this trade shaped Portugal's development. To that end will guided along back streets and main avenues, monuments, churches and public squares that have a connection with this history and can offer insight into how Lisbon was marked by slavery. We will address various topics such as the genesis of the slavery in the Iberian peninsula, the birth of the Atlantic Slave Trade,the Age of Discovery, the day to day aspects of the life of a slave living in historical Lisbon, the importance of Brazil, the abolition of the trade in Portugal, the Portuguese colonies in Africa and the struggle for liberation by African nationalists.
Thistour is conducted by a licensedlocal guide whose mission is to informtravelers on what they need to know to enhance their stay in Lisbon, and topromote Portugal's culture and heritage. From recommendations of things to doin the city, to insider advice on public transportation to other areas youwould want to visit on your stay, feel free to ask your guide anything.
A total of one coffee and WC break is included. The tour fully private, meaning it will only be you or your group interacting with your guide.
Inclusions for The Slave Trade In Lisbon - A Historical Walking Tour
- Local taxes
- Viator brokerage fee
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Port pickup
Exclusions for The Slave Trade In Lisbon - A Historical Walking Tour
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Best Live Fado Show in Lisbon: 'Fado in Chiado'
- Horse Riding Tour on the Beach
- Wifi everywhere in Lisbon
- Discover Lisbon in a Delicatessen Private Food Tour
- Day Trip to Lisbon Gay Beach 19
- Arrbida Full day tour - Discover a paradise with a local
- Lisbon Stories private tour_ half day with transportation
- Yacht Sailing Tour on The Tagus River from Lisbon