OverviewIgnite your senses on a 3.5-hour food tour of Thessaloniki, exploring colorful markets, seeing fresh seafood, sampling Greek meze and more! With a local guide, visit the vibrant food markets of Modiano and Kapani to sample local bread, and then relax in a traditional Greek tavern to feast on a meze platter (selection of dishes) washed down with ouzo or tsipouro two much-loved Greek liquors. Further samples include a melt-in-the-mouth syrupy sweet at one of the citys old candy shops.Numbers are limited to 12 people on this small-group tour, ensuring personalized attention from a guide.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Free drinks included
- Free snacks included
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourHead to Aristotelous Square in central Thessaloniki to meet your guide and start your food tour of the city. Kick-start your morning with a cup of strong Greek coffee to get your energy levels up, and then continue into Thessaloniki’s bustling commercial district to learn about Greek gastronomy.
A Mediterranean cuisine, Greek food is typically high in nutrients and low in animal fats, and dishes are cooked according to time-tested recipes that have been passed down over generations. With incredible islands and large expanses of coastal land, Greece is known for its incredible seafood and Thessaloniki – as an ancient port town – is one of the best places for it.
Wander through the food markets of Modiano and nearby Kapani to see crates of freshly caught fish loaded onto heaving stalls alongside tempting barrels of juicy plump olives. Try koulouri, a round roll of bread topped with sesame seeds, and compare the flavors with bougatsa, a similar roll that can be filled with almost anything, although spinach, cheese and mince are the usual fillers.
After soaking up the atmosphere of the markets and discovering the best stalls and traditional ingredients, continue to Athonos Square. Home to a cluster of charming old-world ouzeria (taverns), the square is one of the best places in the city to feast on a platter of meze alongside a shot of ouzo or tsipouro.
The adventure isn’t complete without a visit to one of Thessaloniki’s old candy shops, so head inside one to sample siropiasta, a syrupy sweet treat that was introduced to Greece in the 1920s. Your tour then finishes inside the shop.
Inclusions for Thessaloniki Food Tour
- Local English-speaking escort
- Local snack - Bougatsa
- Ouzo & meze, olives, cheese, sweet treats
Exclusions for Thessaloniki Food Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Minimum age is 6 years
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.