Trujillo Combo Tour: Temple Of The Dragon, Chan Chan And Huanchaco
OverviewVisit two Chim archeological sites and the coastal village of Huanchaco on this combo tour from Trujillo with a knowledgeable guide. Start at the Temple of the Dragon (also known as the Temple of the Rainbow), an adobe pyramid that features beautiful frieze murals. Then tour the biggest ancient city in South America, former Chim capital and a UNESCO World Heritage site, Chan Chan. Explore its plazas and learn about its history, and then finish your tour in Huanchaco to see its famous reed fishing boats. Hotel transport is included.
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourAfter hotel pickup in Trujillo, your tour starts at Huaco el Dragon, the Temple of the Dragon also known as Huaco del Arco Iris, or Temple of the Rainbow just a 10-minute drive from central Trujillo.
Built for religious and ceremonial purposes by the Chim people, who lived in northern Peru from about 900 AD to the 1400s, the adobe pyramid is known for its intricate frieze murals. With your guide, walk around the temple and learn a bit about the history of and theories behind the site the temple features carvings of a dragon (hence its name), and its believed that the temple was used during rituals to honor the rainbow (hence its other name).
Continue your tour to your next site, the former Chim capital of Chan Chan. This UNESCO World Heritage site is the largest pre-Columbian city in South America and was the center of Chim culture and politics from approximately 900 to 1470, when the Incan Empire arrived and conquered the city.
Explore the 7-square-mile (18-sq-km) archeological site with your guide, touring its array of shrines, cemeteries, reservoirs and ceremonial plazas. Learn about its structure made from adobe brick and mud and marvel at its expansive, walled design. Youll visit one of the main features, Nik-An Palace, a complex that features ceremonial courtyards and walls adorned with friezes.
Next, head about 15 minutes to Huanchaco, a fishing village and beach town known for its caballitos de totora (little reed horses), small boats made out of reed that have been used by Peruvian fisherman for 3,000 years. While you admire their interesting design, hear about their history and modern-day use from your guide.
Your tour ends with hotel drop-off in Trujillo.
Inclusions for Trujillo Combo Tour: Temple Of The Dragon, Chan Chan And Huanchaco
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Trujillo Combo Tour: Temple Of The Dragon, Chan Chan And Huanchaco
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.