Veliko Tarnovo - Arbanassi - Shipka Memorial Church - Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
OverviewExplore the picturesque Veliko Turnovo, the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, boasting of many historical monuments including the imposing medieval fortress Tsarevets and the nearby Arbanassi - one of Bulgaria's most remarkable historic villages.
Know More about this tour
First head towards the Shipka Memorial Church which is an outstanding Bulgarian Orthodox temple built between 1885 and 1902 near Shipka town at the foothills of the Balkan Range. The Shipka Monument complex is dedicated to the Russian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian soldiers who died for the liberation of Bulgaria in the Russo - Turkish War in 1877-78.
Next cross the Shipka pass to arrive in Arbanassi - one of Bulgaria's most remarkable villages. It is known for the rich history and large number of historical monuments, such as 17-th and 18-th century churches and examples of Bulgarian National Revival architecture. Discover the oldest church in the village - Nativity of Christ (1637 - 1649), dug into the ground without a belfry and with hidden cupola. This impressive monument, fully painted from the inside is a genuine art gallery of murals with over 3 500 stunningly realistic figures and Biblical scenes, painted by unknown artists throughout the ages. The next stop is the Konstantsalieva house museum originally built in the 17-th century and beautifully restored in National Revival style. It reflects not only the wealth of the owners but also the attention to detail and the quality craftsmanship of that time.
From Arbanassi proceed to one of the most amazing landmarks of Bulgaria - its former capital Veliko Tarnovo (population: 71 000). The charming town is amphitheatrically situated at 210 m a. s. l. on the Yantra River. The historical capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom attracts many tourists with its unique architecture and beautiful landscapes. The first site to explore in town is the imposing Tsarevets Fortress a medieval stronghold located on a hill with the same name.
Tsarevets served as Bulgarian Empire's primary fortress and strongest bulwark from 1185 to 1393. Then go for a walk along the lovely Veliko Tarnovo main street, the picturesque Gourko Street and the authentic Samovodska Charshiya Street in the Old Town where one can see some crafts exhibits, pieces of art and traditional souvenirs.
Trip duration: 11-11.5 hours
Inclusions for Veliko Tarnovo - Arbanassi - Shipka Memorial Church - Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
Exclusions for Veliko Tarnovo - Arbanassi - Shipka Memorial Church - Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
- Entrance fees: Tsarevets Fortress (3 EUR) - optional, Church of the Nativity of Christ entrance fee (3 EUR), Konstantsalieva house entrance fee (3 EUR)
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.