OverviewTravel back in time to Medieval Athens on this 4-hour walking tour. With an expert guide at your side, visit the 1,000-year-old Petraki Monastery and admire its characteristic Byzantine architecture. Then, stroll through the Byzantine and Christian Museum, and enjoy a guided tour of its many highlights. See the gallery of Coptic Christian paintings and view the age-old mosaics as you make your way through a reconstructed church. End your afternoon tour with a tantalizing 3-course meal of traditional cuisine at the museum’s restaurant — it’s a Viator Exclusive that you won’t find anywhere else.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Exclusive to Viator
Know More about this tour
Make your own way to the prearranged meeting point in central Athens to begin your Viator Exclusive walking tour. Meet your expert guide, and then enjoy a leisurely stroll to Petraki Monastery.
Dating back more than 1,000 years, the monastery is still inhabited by monks today. Marvel at the distinctive Byzantine architecture, the oldest style of church architecture in southern Greece, and admire the 18th-century frescoes, said to have been painted by the famous hagiographer Georgios Markou.
After exploring the monastery, continue to the nearby Byzantine and Christian Museum. Follow your guide and head inside to explore the expansive collection of antiquities, religious artifacts and paintings from the bygone days of Byzantine Greece — an era that stretched from 600 BC to the mid-15th century.
Let your guide take you on a tour of the museum’s highlights, including more than 25,000 artifacts on display, while listening to fascinating stories about Greece during the Byzantine rule. As you stroll around the grand museum, once the palace of a Greek duchess, visit a gallery of Coptic Christian paintings, admire ancient mosaics inside a reconstructed church, and see a collection of medieval books.
Following your tour of religious antiques and paintings, make your way to the museum’s restaurant. Take a seat and prepare to feast on traditional Medieval Greek cuisine for a late afternoon lunch. Your delicious 3-course meal consists of a starter and a main dish, served with a shared salad and a sharing platter of desserts. As you dine, savor a delicious glass of local wine.
With your appetite sated, bid your guide a fond farewell and make your own way back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Viator Exclusive: Medieval Athens Walking Tour With Late Lunch And Wine
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- 3-course meal with a glass of wine
Exclusions for Viator Exclusive: Medieval Athens Walking Tour With Late Lunch And Wine
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.