Unfold Viennas layers of history on this 3-hour walking tour of the Innere Stadt, the first district and historical city center. Visit St Stephens Cathedral and St Ruperts Church, walk down the Ringstrasse past Hofburg Palace and explore the age-old Vindobona neighborhood. Learn about Viennas Celtic and Roman origins from your guide, witness the legacy of the Babenbergs and Habsburgs, and discover how modern Vienna has emerged into a major European capital for arts and culture. Numbers are limited to six on this small-group tour, ensuring a more personalized experience.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Small group ensures personal service
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in central Vienna for a tour of the first district, Innere Stadt, the historical core of the city and the most central of all the 23 districts. You'll get an overview of the many forces that have helped shape Vienna's remarkable history and culture as you follow the course of the Old Town walls, framed by the famous Ringstrasse boulevard.
Visit St Ruperts Church (Ruprechtskirche), one of Viennas oldest churches overlooking the Donaukanal (Danube Canal). Continue through the area of Vindobona, occupied by the ancient Celts and Romans and later the heart of the medieval city.
Passing through a compact neighborhood once inhabited by the Babenburg court, arrive in Freyung Square, where grand palaces reveal the dominance of the imperial Habsburgs of the 18th century. While many of the streets of first district are quiet, close and narrow, the Habsburgs carved out the entire area to display their wealth and power.
Briefly follow the Ringstrasse past the Austrian Parliament Building and Hofburg Palace, which has housed some of the most powerful people in European and Austrian history, including the Habsburg rulers. Today it is the official residence of the President of Austria. Turning back towards the Vienna city center, learn how the Habsburgs infrastructure drew the artists, musicians and authors who created Viennese culture.
If time permits, stop at a local Viennese cafe to refuel with a torte and coffee (own expense). End your walk at St Stephens Cathedral (Stephansdom), a Gothic masterpiece and symbol of the citys centuries of survival in the midst of political and religious turmoil. Admire the cathedrals glow in the evening light, learn about the structures significance and listen as your guide points our interesting details, including a symbol of resistance to Nazism on the faade.
Your tour ends at St Stephens Cathedral, and youre free to enter on your own.
Inclusions for Vienna First District Walking Tour
- Local guide
Exclusions for Vienna First District Walking Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A maximum of six people per booking is allowed
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.