OverviewWaimangu is the youngest geothermal system in the World, wholly formed on 10 June 1886 by a huge volcanic eruption. Learn the story of how this incredible environment has evolved since its creation 130 years ago. Escape from the crowds and enjoy the peace while you follow the easy walking trails through Waimangu.
Take as long as you like while walking and hiking, self-guided through amazing geothermal activity inside a volcano. You will see a wonderful array of hot springs, native forest, special thermal plants and birds set amongst the incredible colours created by the geothermal activity.
- Family friendly
- Instant Confirmation
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
Know More about this tourAfter check-in at reception, enter the volcanic valley between 8:30am and 3pm to begin your self-guided 2.5-mile (4-kilometer) walking tour.
Follow winding footpaths through the geothermal landscape and admire panoramic views over natural attractions including Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake, Lake Rotomahana, and the other volcanic craters which make up Waimangu.
Discover sweeping geothermal terraces, hot springs, and steam vents all set amongst a beautiful native forest and grassland, and enjoy outdoor adventure in the heart of the New Zealand wilderness. Along the way, keep watch for sightings of native wildlife unique to this geothermal terrain.
On arrival at the end of the hike — at Lake Rotomahana — return to the reception area by complimentary shuttle bus to bring your independent tour to a close.
Inclusions for Volcanic Valley Self Guided Walking And Hiking At Waimangu
- Entrance fees
- Independent walking tour
- Shuttle bus from end of the walk back to the entrance
Exclusions for Volcanic Valley Self Guided Walking And Hiking At Waimangu
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks (available to purchase)
- Transport to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required. Passenger must provide their own carer.
Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities.
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.