Volubilis Meknes Day Trip - Fes
OverviewOur days excursion to 2,000 years in the past starts at 9 oclock from your hotel in Fez when we drive across the Saiss Plain to the wonderful Roman ruins at Volubilis, the Volubilis of really ancient olive presses, mansions, incredible mosaics, monumental arches and Corinthian columns where youll have a real sense of Roman lifestyle and of that of a subsequent medieval Berber town.
Know More about this tour
Our days excursion to 2,000 years in the past starts at 9 oclock from your hotel in Fez when we drive across the Saiss Plain to the wonderful Roman ruins at Volubilis, the Volubilis of really ancient olive presses, mansions, incredible mosaics, monumental arches and Corinthian columns where youll have a real sense of Roman lifestyle and of that of a subsequent medieval Berber town.
The site contains the Mansion containing the mosaic of the Labors of Hercules, the Baths of Gallienus and Baths of Forum with their fragmentary mosaics; the House of Orpheus and its Dolphin mosaic and Orpheus Myth; the Cortege of Venus many of whose mosaics we may only see from the outside yet will get to see the medallions of Bacchus, Diana and the Abduction of Hylas; the Gordian Palace with its bath house and pooled courtyards; the House of the Wild Beast, the House of Nymphs, the House of the Seasons, the House of Flavius Germanus, the Knights House with an incomplete mosaic of Dionysus Discovering Ariadne Asleep, the Triumphal Arch , the Capitol and the House of Ephebus with its pictorial mosaics, especially that of Bacchus Being drawn in a Chariot by Panthers.
We leave Volubilis behind to drive alongside the dark, outlaying ridges of the Zerhoun Hills to stop for a visit of the town of Moulay Idriss, the holiest Islamic town in the kingdom of Morocco, where thousands of Moroccan faithful comes on pilgrimage (moussem) every August to pray at the tomb of this descendant of the Prophet Mohammed.
Arriving at the elongated square we see above us the green-tiled pyramids of the Zaouia with its two conical quarters on both side and stroll amidst the labyrinth of alleyways before leaving for the Imperial City rebuilt by Moulay Ismail.
And now to the Imperial City of Meknes (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), here we shall visit the easily most beautiful Bab or gateway, in all of the Maghreb the Bab Mansour.
From here to the El Heri es-Souani the granary of huge vaulted structures and stables built by Moulay Ismails soldiers next to a pool fed by underground channels that brought fresh water all the way from the distant Middle Atlas Mountains; the Moulay Ismail Mausoleum and the Place el-Hedim to see the famous State-owned stallion stables of Haras where these Arabo-Berber horses are bred.
Time for lunch ( Not Included ) before leaving Meknes around 4 oclock in the afternoon, arriving back in our hotel in Fez at around 5 oclock , the drama, scope and beauty of our visit forever indelibly imprinted in our memory.
Inclusions for Volubilis Meknes Day Trip
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for Volubilis Meknes Day Trip
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 3-Day Camel Trekking in the Moroccan Sahara Desert from Fez
- ALI BABA TOUR Fes Marrakech 3 days 3 nights
- MARRAKECH 2 DAY TRIP TO FEZ VIA IMPERIAL CITIES OF RABAT AND MEKNES
- Desert tour from Fes to Marrakech (4 Nights 4 Days)
- Full-Day Volubilis and Meknes Private Tour from Fez
- Full-Day Private Tour to Fez from Casablanca
- Private Day Tour from Fes to Volubilis, Morocco
- Fes to Chefchaouen Private Day Tour