Waitakere Ranges Guided Walk From Auckland
OverviewVeer off the tourist trail to experience Auckland's west coast on a full-day trip to the Waitakere ranges. Only 40 minutes from the city, you can amble through forests of ancient kauri trees to arrive at a beach covered in black sand, wind-lashed bluffs overlooking the Tasman Sea, and a hidden waterfall on a guided four- to five-hour walk. Along the way, spot New Zealands native flora and fauna, dip your toes in the ocean and refuel with a picnic lunch.
Know More about this tourAfter being picked up from central Auckland, you'll head west, passing through an artsy town called Titirangi, or 'Fringe of Heaven' in Maori.
Otherworldly sights abound once you enter the native rainforest of the Waitakere Ranges. Just 40 minutes from bustling Auckland, this enchanted world feels completely different with its lush vegetation and plunging waterfalls. If the dramatic scenery seems familiar, it's possible you caught a glimpse of it in The Piano, an Oscar-winning film by Jane Campion.
Learn more about the subtropical rainforest and the animals that live there during a visit to the Arataki Visitor Centre. From the visitor center, you can see amazing views that stretch from Auckland's cityscape to the west coasts Manukau Harbour.
Take your new knowledge west to begin your exhilarating four- to five-hour guided walk. Wind your way through the forest of indigenous silver ferns and red-flowered pohutukawa trees (known overseas as New Zealand Christmas trees). As you go, learn how the plants were used for medicinal purposes by the Maori. Walk under rows of towering kauri trees as you make your way to coastal lookouts for breathtaking views of the Tasman Sea, which separates New Zealand from Australia.
Stop to enjoy a picnic lunch in a secluded bush glade, along a dramatic clifftop clearing, or in a sheltered sandy cove, depending on the weather.
After lunch, continue your walk through the greenery down to the west coasts most beautiful black-sand beach. Stroll along the shimmering black sand to the soundtrack of a pounding surf. Dip your toes in the wild Tasman Sea if the weather is warm, or keep walking to reach stunning waterfalls.
Rest your feet on the return trip to downtown Auckland, where you will be dropped off.
Inclusions for Waitakere Ranges Guided Walk From Auckland
- Snacks, hot and cold drinks
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Waitakere Ranges Guided Walk From Auckland
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking (4-5 hrs) is involved over uneven terrain
Please dress appropriately depending on weather conditions of the day
Please bring good walking shoes, sun protection, swimming gear and your camera
Please note this tour is not bookable for ages under 4 years
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Electric Tuk Tuk Private Heritage and Cultural Tours
- Private Tour: Bay of Islands Tour with Wine Tasting
- Private Shore Excursion: Bay of Islands Tour with Wine Tasting
- Self-Guided Jet Ski Tour of Waiheke Island
- Giants and Tiny Dwarfs Bay of Islands Tour
- Waitomo Day Trip with Option to Add Hobbiton from Auckland
- Round-Trip Private Transfer from Auckland to Tree Adventures
- Giants and Glow Worms Day Tour