This is a walking food tour through the NishikiÂ Food Market,Â an area known to locals as the Kitchen of Kyoto as it plays a huge part in supporting the Kyoto food industry. Â Business has been conducted here for the past 400 years and with one of the richest culinary atmospheres in the world, you will have a chance to sample some of the freshestÂ food of your life.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Lunch included
Know More about this tour
Your experience will include stops at 12 family owned stalls and shops which have stood the test of time.
At a few of the stops, you will sample specialty products like tsukemono (pickled vegetables from the surrounding mountains preserved), yuuba (the world's smoothest sashimi tofu made from the world famous Kyoto mountain water), and sparkling sake straight from the tap.
At the other stops, you will buy some specialty items to enjoy later at lunch including Saba (Mackerel), Dashimaki Tamago (specialty grilled egg dish made from specialty Kyoto fish and seaweed stock), Sansho (Japanese red pepper), Kamaboko (seafood preserved in fish paste), Tako (Octopus with quail egg) and Matcha (ground tea leaves).
During the tour, you will learn detailed information about the ingredients of different Japanese dishes, how their food is prepared and what is used to eat it. You will learn the process, from the ground to your bowl, of how white rice is processed for consumption and the origin of roasted tea leaves!
Your experience will do more than just give you a chance to taste Kyoto's delicious food but will also give you a sense the history and atmosphere of the Nishiki Market experienced by the Japanese for generations. You will enjoy stories from the past told directly from shopkeepers and families you will spend time with.
Inclusions for Walking Food Tour Of The Nishiki Market In Kyoto
- 7-course lunch
- Japanese Tea
- Local Pickles
- Local food sampling including seafood, fish cakes, tofu,etc
- Dried fruits tasting
Exclusions for Walking Food Tour Of The Nishiki Market In Kyoto
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Minimum drinking age is 21 years
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.