Walking Tour Of Arequipa
OverviewJoin this 2.5-hour walking tour of the beautiful city of Arequipa with the company of your professional guide.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
Know More about this tourArequipa is located in the southwestern part of the country and is the second biggest city of Peru, with a population of almost one million. It is also the capital of the department of Arequipa, 663.8 miles (1,068km) from Lima. The city sits at an altitude of 2,325 meters above sea level in a mountainous desert in the western Andes, at the foot of El Misti Volcano.
El Misti is currently inactive, but had strong eruptions between the years 1438 and 1471. It is located between two small volcanoes, Chachani “The Bottom” and Picchu Picchu “The Top”. Both names come from the Quechua language from the Inca Empire. Arequipa has more than 80 volcanoes, most of which can be found in the Valley of the Volcanoes. Unfortunately the city was built on a very earthquake prone area and was completely destroyed by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions during the 1600’s.
Its colonial buildings were erected in ashlar (pearl coloured volcanic rock) which was used with abundance throughout the city, giving it the nickname of ‘The White City’. The historic center was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO in December 2000 due to its architecture and historical integrity. “The historic center of Arequipa is an example of ornamental architecture, representing a masterpiece of the European creative coalition and native characteristics.”
Generally considered the second most beautiful city in Peru after Cusco, Arequipa has attractions for all kinds of tourists, many of whom come to visit the Colca Canyon, the high volcanoes or just to walk around the colonial city.
The White City of Arequipa has become the center of economic growth in the south and is one of the most important milk producers in the country. This has allowed Arequipa to develop and grow in population and change over the years. In the mid-twentieth century there was an influx of immigration from the highlands and mountain areas, and now Arequipa’s population is a mixture of Spanish, indigenous and mixed.
The places you will visit during this tour are the oldest neighborhood of Arequipa, the first church built, classic Arequipa streets. You will also play with lamas and alpacas, you will have time for optional shopping and enjoy free potato samples with typical sauces.
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of Arequipa
- 2.5-hour walking tour
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup walking
- Free potato samples with typical sauces
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of Arequipa
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.