Walking Tour Of Colosseum Underground And Ancient Rome
OverviewDescend into the Underground Area of the Colosseum in a group with a maximum of 24 people, and visit the sites where the gladiators and lions waited their turn to fight on stage. On this group walking tour that meets near the entry of the Colosseum, explore throughout the Arena where the gladiators fought, look into the Colosseum's Underground Area, and climb to the Third Tier, another area that is limited to typical tours. Outside the Colosseum, also visit the ancient city, including the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill on this intense 4-hour walking tour within this vast area.
- All entrance fees included
- Family friendly
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Fully narrated tour
Know More about this tour
Head through the dark heart of the restricted areas of the Colosseum underground in a group of maximum 24 people, right into the chambers where the gladiators once prepared for battle next to fierce beats waiting in cages, before making their appearance on the arena floor. During this tour you will also walk on the arena the stage where the whole show happened and the exhibition held at the time of your tour date .
Dive into Ancient Rome history and start your journey into the subterranean area of the worlds most famous amphitheater, the Colosseum. During this tour you will visit not only the underground area, but also other sections of the Colosseum that limit regular visitors: the hypogeum andsandy arena where battles took place.
Leaving the Colosseum, follow your guide to the archaeologicalarea of the Roman Forum. Walk along Via Sacra, the main street of Ancient Rome, and reach the heart the Forum, where the empire's main religious and political buildings once stood and sometimes still stand. See the Temple of the Vestal Virgins it is here that the Roman priestesses tended the eternal flame of Rome and the Roman Senate where decisions were taken that changed the course of history; admire the triumphal Arch of Septimius Severus, the Arch of Titus, and the Arch of Constantine, named for the emperor who, by defeating his archrival, Maxentius, set the groundwork for the decline of the pagan world and the rise of Christianity. Then explore Palatine Hill, the most ancient part of Rome, where you'll hear about Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of this historical city. From here you will enjoy one of the most spectacularviews of Rome ever.
Please note that the Colosseum and Roman Forum are ancient sites and not wheelchair friendly due to the steep stairs and uneven ground. Because of the extensive walk and little opportunity to sit and rest, it is also encouraged that children and infants be carried.
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of Colosseum Underground And Ancient Rome
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Access to restricted areas
- ExpertEnglish-speaking Tour guide
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of Colosseum Underground And Ancient Rome
- Food and drinks (vending snacks available for purchase on site)
- Transportation to and from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Infant price applies with the minimum of one adult
Colosseum and Roman Forum are ancient sites and not wheelchair friendly. We encourage those with mobility problems to book a private tour, in order to allow the guide to adapt the pace to their specific needs. This tour lasts 4 hours and a fair amount of walking is involved, including some stairs and uphill paths.
Water fountains available on site
Strollers are allowed but not recommended, as stairs are steep and the ground is uneven; children must be carried by an adult or be able to walk for most of the tour
Wear comfortable shoes; bring hat and sunscreen
All drink bottles must be empty when entering the Colosseum; it is possible to bring in refillable empty bottles, as the water springing from the fountains on the path is drinkable
There is no scheduled break, but it will be possible to stop for restrooms along the path, as needed
This is an intense 4-hour walking tour, as the area to cover is vast; along the way, there are vending machines where you can buy drinks and quick snacks to eat while walking
Food is allowed in the archeological area
For security reasons, all visitors and their luggage shall be screened; all objects (including mobile phones) must be put in the bag/backpack or in the tray for X-ray screening
Large backpacks, camping bags, bulky bags, and luggage/trolleys are not allowed; medium and small backpacks can be shouldered and must be checked, as any other bag, with metal detectors, opened and visually inspected by security
Group size limited to 24 people
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Half-Day Tour: Tivoli and Villa D'Este from Rome
- Rome to Pompeii Shuttle Bus & Independent Day Trip
- Small-Group Tour: Venice by Train Full Day Tour from Rome
- Roman Countryside Food and Wine Tasting from Rome
- Naples and Pompeii: Full-Day Tour from Rome with Lunch
- Best of Rome in a Day Private Guided Tour including Vatican Sistine Chapel and Colosseum