Walking Tour Of Mehrauli Archaeological Park - Delhi
OverviewMehrauli Archaeological Park is the place where history meets tranquility. This archaeological park covers an area of about 200 acres and is one of the oldest places in Delhi. The Mehrauli Archaeological Park is located very near the Qutub Minar, in one of the most prominent places of Old Delhi. If counted you will stumble across at least 100 historically significant monuments! If one traces the time period of all the relics and remains that have been unearthed from this area, then they roughly cover the Khalji, Tughlaq and Lodhi dynasties that were a part of the Delhi Sultanate and then moves on to the reign of the Mughals and finally the period of colonization of the British. This is that particular section of the city, which, literally, reminds you about the sands of time!
- Family friendly
- Get inside tips from a local
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Small-group tour
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
Know More about this tourThis 3-hour tour has been planned out in such a way so that we can take you through all the important remains that have been excavated in this area. The tour starts off at the Metcalfe House at 8am, which has a history of its own. It was once the tomb of Thomas Metcalfe, an Englishman who belonged to the court of Bahadur Shah Zafar.
From there, we go to Balbans tomb, which has the distinction of having the first recorded arch built in India. After paying homage to Balban, the next stop is Khan Shaheeds tomb. This tomb is for the slain son of Balban, Khan Shaheed means The Martyred Prince. After paying our respects to these two extraordinary men from India's history, we move on.
At the next stop, we witness the perfect amalgamation of Indo-Persian architectural style at the Jamali Kamali mosque followed by the Dargah of Bakhtiyar Kaki. The tour ends at Rajon ki Baoli, which is a large historic stepwell that was created to provide water to the area. Because the region is so arid, the baoli was dug deep into the earth to collect ground water. This was built during a time long before plumbing was made available.
Having visited these historically significant areas of India, we end this tour with a nice beverage at 11am and return you to the Qutub Minar Metro Station, our original starting point.
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of Mehrauli Archaeological Park
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of Mehrauli Archaeological Park
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 4 years
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Dress code is smart casual
May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
Not recommended for pregnant women
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.