Walking Tour Of Oxford With An Oxford Graduate Guide
OverviewVisit Oxford's most iconic and interesting landmarks, all within the easy walking route, and hear about Oxford's famous people, past and present, and their triumphs and tragedies.Fascinating facts, horrible histories, amusing anecdotes - enjoy the personal touch and first-hand commentary from a real Oxford graduate on this walking tour of the city of dreaming spires. It includes a visit to a college for an authentic insider look at life as a student, and theweird and wonderful heritage and traditions here.And for fans of trivia and tidbits there's a mine of information, often useful, sometimes not, but always interesting.Discover what makes Oxford University great - the admissions process (including the dreaded interview), and the collegiate and tutorial system - from someone who has experienced them. Stop and stare, and photograph the most picturesque city center locations in England.
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Small group ensures personal service
- Get inside tips from a local
Know More about this tourThe great Irish poet WB Yeats once said "I wonder anybody does anything at Oxford but dream and remember, the place is so beautiful". Come on this guided walk and discover why.
Starting at the the iconic Martyrs' Memorial in Oxford city centre, the 1.5 hour walk begins by following the trail of some gruesome history about religious intolerance, still a very modern issue. Along the way one of the points of interest is the first ever charity shop in the UK, open and thriving today as part of a well-known global organisation which was founded in Oxford.
Then the focus becomes suddenly, and strikingly, more modern, before zooming in, quite literally for the photographers among the group, on some curious medieval characters looking down from on high.
The tour then moves in to the world of the wider University in Radcliffe Square, the intellectual heart of England. There's an optional minor detour for CS Lewis and Narnia fans to see the inspiration for the characters in the well-loved story.
Next, going back in time again, to the 1600s, the location is the magnificent Old Schools Quad, the forerunner of today's lecture and examination rooms. Another optional visit, this time to the Divinity School (more Harry Potter).This magnificent medieval room is the oldest teaching hall and earliest examination hall of the University.
For architecture fans there follows an array of exquisite buildings whose designers range in time from Sir Christopher Wren to the modern day. A short side trip leads under Oxford's answer to Venice's Bridge of Sighs, to the house where a famous astronomer discovered a heavenly body, before the tour ends at one of the city's worst kept secrets, a tucked away tavern where a US President famously didn't inhale.
This personal account of Oxford student life is guaranteed to educate, inform and entertain, and at the end leave visitors with sights and stories so they too can "dream and remember".
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of Oxford With An Oxford Graduate Guide
- Walking tour and commentary
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of Oxford With An Oxford Graduate Guide
- Food and drinks
- Entry to Divinity School (1 per person)
- Entry to Jesus College (2 per person)
- Entry to New College (3 per person)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 4 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.