Walking Tour Of Seamus Heaney's BellaghyWrite a Review
OverviewWelcome to the definitive walking tour of Seamus Heaneys Bellaghy. Having known and worked with Seamus Heaney over many years and having grown up in the same fields and lanes and knowing the same people in his native Bellaghy, your guide Fergal Kearney is uniquely placed to follow in the footsteps of the great man and to share the poets home placethrough his own eyes. This is no strangers view of the poet in his place, but that of a generation that has been powerfully influenced by Seamus Heaney and known him personally over many years.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tour
The tour itinerary is the same whether or not you take optional extras.
Your tour starts at the Turf Man Sculpture at Bellaghy Bawn where you will hear the enchanting tale of how this bend in the road changed Seamus Heaney’s life forever. Next will be to the Wolfe Tone’s Gaelic Athletic Association Club where you get to understand the powerful influence of gaelic games on the life of the community and how the local GAA celebrated Seamus Heaney’s winning of the Nobel Prize for literature.
A short walk will take you back to Castle Street where you will learn of the long history of this roadway that dates from 1612 and one of the most tumultous times in Irish history. You will also hear from Seamus Heaney himself through the poetry where he recalls the cattle market here.
Your next stop will be at the sculpture in William Street, the outcome of a Bellaghy Women’s Group project to celebrate the working life of women in the area over the years. You’ll also hear the frightful tale of the strange goings-on in the old shirt factory across the way!
You will then make your way up the ‘stair head’ – one of Bellaghy’s oldest features – on your way down William Street towards St Mary’s Church and graveyard, where Seamus Heaney lies at rest. On the way you’ll hear about some of the characters from Bellaghy’s history and the old rectory, sadly now lying empty on the villages edge.
On arrival at St Mary’s, you will hear the history of this 19th century Roman Catholic Church and how it has played a pivotal role in the long and sometimes troubled history of Bellaghy. You can sign the visitors book in Seamus Heaney’s memory here, before making your way to the poet’s final resting place ‘in the elbow to the stone wall and the oak tree’.
After walking back up through Bellaghy, you will hear the history of St Taoide’s Church of Ireland, the Manor House and Police Station before finishing with a tour of the Seamus Heaney HomePlace (you can alternatively start your trip with a HomePlace visit).
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of Seamus Heaney's Bellaghy
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Professional photographer guide
- Tour escort/host
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of Seamus Heaney's Bellaghy
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. WIll not operate in extreme weather
If canceled due to extreme weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.