Immerse yourself in history on a small-group, one-hour tour of the St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. Learn about the history of New Orleans as you see the famous wall oven vaults and family and society tombs. Discuss the famous people buried in the cemetery and the legends of Marie Laveau and Easy Rider.
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at the Visitors Center across the street from the cemetery and begin with learning about the geographical challenges of New Orleans. The city is primarily below sea level, including the major canals in the city designed to prevent flooding and the effects of Hurricane Katrina. Then, walk to the oldest above-ground cemetery in the city, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. You are required to be with a guide in the cemetery and cannot walk freely through it without your guide.
Hear about the original cemetery in the French Quarter and why it was moved. Discover the historical significance of it and the need to protect its architectural integrity. Discuss the burial processes, famous people who are buried in the cemetery, and see the supposed tomb of Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau.
Inclusions for Walking Tour Of St. Louis Cemetery 1
- Walking tour
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Walking Tour Of St. Louis Cemetery 1
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Dress code is smart casual, be prepared for any and all types of weather as we operate rain or shine
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Photography is allowed and recommended but you may not place your camera or equipment on any tombs or cemetery property
No alcohol, food, or drink is permitted in the cemetery except for water
It is mandatory for all guests to remain within the group and not stray or wander off alone; you may not stand on or lean on tombs; These rules are strictly enforced by the Archdiocese of New Orleans
You may not touch graves or anything in the cemetery while on the tour
The local supplier reserves the right to end your tour if you are intoxicated, belligerent, or do not follow guidelines
You may visit the gift shop for souvenirs and water
NOTE: St. Louis #1 is an ACTIVE cemetery and may have funerals at the time of your scheduled tour and may be closed to the public, if this situation arises, we will visit St. Louis #2.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.