What you can expect
Our day starts when we collect you from your accomodation in Walvis Bay, after a short briefing and introduction we make our way out of the town towards Dune 7.
We arrive at Dune 7 in aprox 20 minutes and once we are there you will have some free time to take photos and climb this massive dune to experience the feeling of being "ontop of the world"
After we had our daily excersise to the top of Dune 7, we head back towards the town and onto the Walvis Bay Salt Refinery.
This refinery produces a staggering 750 000 tons of salt per year, much of which is exported internationally. It covers an area of 4500 hectare and is in the process of expanding as we speak. Massive heaps of salt that looks like snow and bright pink coloured water basins provides us with spectacular photos.
From here we head onto the Peninsula, with the calm lagoon to the right and the roaring Atlantic ocean to the left, this drive to the very tip of the Pelican Point Peninsula is an adventure itself.
Along the way we see wildlife, a shipwreck and the Pelican Point Lighthouse.
The Lighthouse was built in 1932 and stands 35 meters high. It now offers luxury accomodation to its clients and offers complete relaxation in this unique area.
Once at the very tip of the Peninsula you will have the opportunity to expolore and take in the great scenery surrounded by wildlife that includes the second largest Cape Fur Seal colony in the country.
The Seals will keep you entertained for hours!
While you are exploring , we start seeting up our lunch which includes a variety of finger snacks, sparkling wine, local beers, water , soft drinks and a desert.
After we enjoyed some refreshements, we head back towards the Salt Refinery, and then onto the
Walvis Bay Lagoon.
This lagoon in the southwest of town is regarded as one of the most important wetlands for birds along the southern African coast. It was proclaimed a RAMSAR site (an important wetland area for birds) in 1955. It covers the shallow lagoon, the beach and the inter tidal areas of Pelcan Point and the saltworks. Its a tidal lagoon and the best birdviewing occurs during low tide. This area is a feeding site for upto 50 % of greater flamingos found in Southern Africa and also attracts other species like gulls, plovers, pelicans and the endemic Damara Tern. There is an estimated 170 000 resident birds around the lagoon and aprox 200 000 more stopping over during their migratory route.
We stop here and enjoy the sights and sounds of this spectacular lagoon before heading back to conclude your tour at your accommodation.
- Hotel pickup Available
- Free Cancellation
- Travelers below 8 years not allowed
- Duration: 4 Hrs 30 Mins
OverviewWalvis bay is a coastal city about 3o kilometers south of Swakopmund, it was discovered by Diaz at 1487 but was only founded in 1793 by the Cape Dutch and two years later it was annexed by the British. With its natural deep water port, this town is of great imporatance to the entire African economy, and it is still a key player with regards to exporting fish across the world. The town has roughly 100 000 inhabitants and it is situated at a large lagoon that is home to numerous bird species including flamingos, pelicans, gulls, terns and many more. This lagoon is a RAMSAR site and is one of the most important wetlands in Southern Africa, and is a feeding site for upto 250 000 flamingos during the rainy season
*Discover Dune 7
*The Walvis Bay Salt Refinery
*Pelican Point Light House
*Pelican Point Peninsula
*Walvis Bay Lagoon
Know More about this tour
What you can expect
*Hotel collection and drop off
*Permits and fees
*English speaking guide
- At checkout we'll ask you to provide your hotel information. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
- In case you have not booked your hotel, Don't Worry ! Once your hotel arrangements are finalized, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.