OverviewTour an exhibition hall of the worlds leading special effects studios at Weta Workshops, a must-see destination for 'The Lord of the Rings' fans visiting New Zealand. Start your visit on the right foot: A convenient shuttle transfer from central Wellington eliminates the hassle of driving and parking. The informative guided tour takes you through the Weta Cave exhibit for a fascinating behind-the-scenes look into the artistry of the LOTR trilogy, 'Avatar,' and 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2,' among many others.
Know More about this tourMeet at the Wellington i-SITE Visitor Centre to board an air-conditioned minivan that takes you from downtown to the Weta Workshop.
During the 20-minute ride, watch a short video welcome from Richard Taylor, who co-founded Weta with Tania Rodgers, Jamie Selkirk and Peter Jackson in 1987. Your local driver shares facts about Wellingtons history and its role in creating some of the biggest films in the world.
The Weta Workshops team became famous for the sets, costumes, armor, weapons, creatures and miniatures they designed and manufactured for The Lord of the Rings movies. They have also collaborated with Steven Spielberg on The Adventures of Tintin and James Cameron on Avatar.
You'll learn more about how Weta Workshop has collaborated with these famous folks, among others, when you arrive for a behind-the-scenes documentary that include interviews with Taylor and Jackson. Afterward, head back out to meet your guide for a tour of the Weta Cave exhibition space. Get a glimpse into the magic behind the movies as members of the Weta team show off props, models and weapons. During your tour, hear fascinating stories about the history of the company. If you're lucky, you might catch the design and production teams at work when you look through windows that open into the heart of the workshop.
If you want to snap up a memento, browse the on-site gift shop for prop replicas, LOTR art prints, jewelry, and more.
After about two hours, reboard your shuttle for the return trip to downtown Wellington where your tour ends.
Inclusions for Weta Cave Workshop Tour
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Weta Cave Workshop Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
No photography is allowed with the Weta Cave Workshop
Minimum age is 6 years
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.