Whitney Plantation Tour - New Orleans
OverviewVisit the Whitney Plantation and gain a unique perspective on the enslaved people who lived and worked there. Step back in time as you explore this 262-year old plantation museum, the only one of its kind in Louisiana. See museum exhibits, memorial artwork and restored buildings. Learn the history as recorded from slave narratives, on this 5-hour guided tour.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Ideal choice for families
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Fully narrated tour
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at the designated meeting point in New Orleans and journey to the historic Whitney Plantation, one of the antebellum estates located along the Mississippi River. You'll cross the Bonnet Carre Spillway, a flood outlet for the river, and see a panoramic view of Lake Pontchartrain on your way to the plantation. Pass by the Evergreen, Felicity and St. Joseph plantations, where rich crops of sugar cane, cotton, and indigo from these fertile lands once traveled to various ports of trade.
Arrive at the Whitney Plantation, which dates back more than 260 years and is now a working museum dedicated to the understanding of slavery in the American South. With your guide, visit museum exhibits and restored buildings includinghistorical slave cabins, some of which remain from the original 22 on-site. See the Big House, which is one of the finest surviving examples of Spanish Creole architecture in Louisiana, and learn about the daily life offormer slaves at Whitney as recorded by the Federal Writers' Project.
At the end of your 5-hour tour, you're returned to central New Orleans.
Inclusions for Whitney Plantation Tour
- Entrance fees
- Guided tour
- Round-trip transport from central New Orleans
Exclusions for Whitney Plantation Tour
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Check-in is 15 minutes prior to start time.
If the guest needs a wheelchair lift equipped bus, then special arrangements need to be made with the supplier. This must be arranged 48 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
Guests visiting Whitney using a wheelchair will have access to the gift shop, restrooms, and museum. The plantation grounds are accessible; however, there are uneven gravel paths. The main house tour is not accessible to guest traveling in wheelchairs and is not required to be modified as it is a historic home; however, the first floor is accessible. Guests would be able to view the slave quarters, but would not have access to enter.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.