Xunantunich & Barton Creek Cave Canoeing With Lunch - San Ignacio
OverviewXunantunich: was the first excavated Mayan site in Belize that was opened for the public. Though it is smaller compared to the other Mayan sites, it consists of one of the tallest structures. The huge statue of the Sun God, El Castillo, and the 130-foot tall pyramid are a couple of structures that attract visitors. Xunantunich means stone Woman or Maiden of the rock in the Yucatec dialect. These names are derived from the image of a woman depicted in one of the paintings.Barton Creek Cave: Barton Creek is a living cave in that it is still growing and developing with 10ft of water flowing constantly throughout. The ancient Mayans believed that their Gods would reside in such places and Barton Creek Cave in particular because of its abundance of water.
Know More about this tour
Getting There: The adventure begins at 8:00AM on a mere 10 15 minutes drive onto the village of San Jose Succotz. Here you will cross the Mopan River via an old-fashioned hand-cranked ferry and onto the site's parking lot.
At Xunantunich: Upon arrival at the site, youll be amazed at how impressive the Temple of El Castillo (the main temple) actually is at a remarkable 120 feet in height. Pay close attention to the history of this once royal center of ancient civilization as your guide walks you through the site. Feel free to climb to the top of El Castillo if youre not afraid of heights. There youll have a jaw-dropping panoramic view of the surroundings which encompasses part of Guatemala, Benque Viejo Town, and San Jose Succotz among other areas.
Be careful coming down from the pyramid as you make your way over to the ancient ball court. Imagine the excitement happening in real time as your guide paints a vivid picture of how the popular Mayan game of Pokatok was played. On site you may get to see spider monkeys and, depending on the time of the year, even howler monkeys. An on-site museum will give you an overall idea of this ancient citys actual size.
Barton Creek Cave:
Getting there: Just after lunch, you'll make your way through & out of San Ignacio Town with a 45 minutes drive on a dirt road through a Mennonite farmland called Barton Creek. The scenery as we traverse this farmland is very quaint and pleasantly scenic with hills and valleys stitched with organically grown crops.
At Barton Creek Cave Site: After checking in, proceed onto picking your canoe & strapping on your life jackets and headlamps. Once geared up, you'll head over to the river bank where your guide would have your canoe awaiting you for your journey into The Mayan Underworld Xibalba.
The adventure takes flight when you enter the lime stone cave and float for about 1 hour into the cave. Inside the cave you'll be passing impressive natural crystal formations and various archaeological highlights, all which your guide will be pointing out as you make your way upstream. Enjoy this informative & intriguing family- friendly tour.
This adventure will amaze you with cathedral-like chambers & wide passages. Sit back and relax while your guide navigates your canoe for a leisurely visit. After exploring the underworld, you will head back into town.
Departing: Upon exiting the cave, you'll proceed to the parking lot & board your vehicle as you make your way back through the river, the scenic farmland, and back into San Ignacio Town arriving at around 5:00 6:00PM. Remember, our combo tours are normally private tours, the duration depends on your leisurely pace.
Inclusions for Xunantunich & Barton Creek Cave Canoeing With Lunch
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- 12.5% GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- All activities
- Free Hotel pick up and drop off for hotels WITHIN San Ignacio Town Limits ONLY.
- Pick ups at hotels outside of San Ignacio Town Limits will incur extra charges (depending on exact location). This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off.
Exclusions for Xunantunich & Barton Creek Cave Canoeing With Lunch
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for hotels OUTSIDE of San Ignacio Town Limits. (This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off).
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people (Adults) per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Adult pricing applies to all travelers above the age of 12
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
Infant meals not included
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.