Xunantunich & Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
OverviewXunantunichwas the first excavated Mayan site in Belize that was opened for the public. Though it is smaller compared to the other Mayan sites, it consists of one of the tallest structures. The huge statue of the Sun God, El Castillo, and the 130-foot tall pyramid are a couple of structures that attract visitors. Xunantunich means stone Woman or Maiden of the rock in the Yucatec dialect. These names are derived from the image of a woman depicted in one of the paintings.Big Rock Fallsis a 150-footwaterfallonPrivassion River, in theMountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserveof theCayo DistrictofBelize. Wikipedia
Know More about this tour
Getting There:The adventure begins at 8:00AM on a mere 10 15 minutes drive onto the village of San Jose Succotz. Here you will cross the Mopan River via an old-fashioned hand-cranked ferry and onto the site's parking lot.
At Xunantunich:Upon arrival at the site, youll be amazed at how impressive the Temple of El Castillo (the main temple) actually is at a remarkable 120 feet in height. Pay close attention to the history of this once royal center of ancient civilization as your guide walks you through the site. Feel free to climb to the top of El Castillo if youre not afraid of heights. There youll have a jaw-dropping panoramic view of the surroundings which encompasses part of Guatemala, Benque Viejo Town, and San Jose Succotz among other areas.
Be careful coming down from the pyramid as you make your way over to the ancient ball court. Imagine the excitement happening in real time as your guide paints a vivid picture of how the popular Mayan game of Pokatok was played. On site you may get to see spider monkeys and, depending on the time of the year, even howler monkeys. An on-site museum will give you an overall idea of this ancient citys actual size.
Big Rock Falls:
Getting There:After Xunantunich, you'llmake your way onto the Mountain Pine Ridge road en route to Big Rock Falls. The drive is about 45 minutes on a partially paved road, the farther section of which is dirt.
Along the way, youll pass the villages of Cristo Rey and San Antonio. These are small settlements of mostly farmers along the Macal River. Along the way, your guide would normally point out to local flora and fauna such as Toucans, Roadside Hawks, Iguanas, and Medicinal Plants and trees.
At the site:The parking lot approximately 5 to 8 minutes walk from the waterfall so you'll want to take everything youll need with you for an enjoyable time at the waterfall. From the parking lot youll be walking through a little trail which leads to quite a steep climb down to the river valley. Flip flops are not advisable for this part of the trek. Once youve made your way carefully down that cliff, the delightfulview of water rushing over the huge 150-ft rock formations and plummeting into the deep rounded pool at its base provides a rush of excitement.
You wont regret visiting this site for a nice cold swim amidst the scorching Belizean heat. You may choose to swim all the way up to the water fall but try to contain the temptation to climb up any of the wet rocks, or do so at your own risk, they tend to get very slippery. Your guide will allow you ample time to swim or bask at your own leisure until you're ready to head back to San Ignacio Town.
Inclusions for Xunantunich & Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- 12.5% GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- All activities
- Free Hotel pick up and drop off for hotelsWITHINSan Ignacio Town Limits ONLY.
- Pick ups at hotels outside of San Ignacio Town Limits will incur extra charges (depending on exact location). This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off.
Exclusions for Xunantunich & Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for hotelsOUTSIDE of San Ignacio Town Limits.(This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off).
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people (Adults) per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Adult pricing applies to all travelers above the age of 12
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
Infant meals not included
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shared Departure Transfer: San Ignacio Hotels to Belize International Airport
- Cave Tubing and Zip line Adventure from San Ignacio
- Xunantunich and Big Rock Falls
- Belize 3 Days and 2 nights 5 tours
- Xunantunich Temples and Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure
- Waterfall Horseback Ride from San Ignacio
- Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure Tour
- Cave Tubing from San Ignacio