Xunanuntunich & Cave Tubing With Lunch - San Ignacio
OverviewXunantunich was the first excavated Mayan site in Belize that was opened for the public. Though it is smaller compared to the other Mayan sites, it consists of one of the tallest structures. The huge statue of the Sun God, El Castillo, and the 130-foot tall pyramid are a couple of structures that attract visitors. Xunantunich means stone Woman or Maiden of the rock in the Yucatec dialect. These names are derived from the image of a woman depicted in one of the paintings.Cave Tubing: Take a refreshing ride on inner tubes down the Caves Branch River and through a series of Ancient Mayan Caves for an incredible experience. This tour is perfect for families with older kids, especially as an escape from the Belizean heat.
Know More about this tour
Getting There: The adventure begins at 8:00AM on a mere 10 15 minutes drive onto the village of San Jose Succotz. Here you will cross the Mopan River via an old-fashioned hand-cranked ferry and onto the site's parking lot.
At Xunantunich: Upon arrival at the site, youll be amazed at how impressive the Temple of El Castillo (the main temple) actually is at a remarkable 120 feet in height. Pay close attention to the history of this once royal center of ancient civilization as your guide walks you through the site. Feel free to climb to the top of El Castillo if youre not afraid of heights. There youll have a jaw-dropping panoramic view of the surroundings which encompasses part of Guatemala, Benque Viejo Town, and San Jose Succotz among other areas.
Be careful coming down from the pyramid as you make your way over to the ancient ball court. Imagine the excitement happening in real time as your guide paints a vivid picture of how the popular Mayan game of Pokatok was played. On site you may get to see spider monkeys and, depending on the time of the year, even howler monkeys. An on-site museum will give you an overall idea of this ancient citys actual size.
Starts: 1:00PM Ends: 5:00PM
Getting There: You'll embark on a 1 hr. and 15 minutes drive on the George Price Highway (paved road) until arriving at the junction of the Jaguar Paw Cave Tubing outpost. The drive into the sites parking lot is another 10 minutes or so on paved road.
At the site:
From the parking lot, you'll proceed to select you inner tube, helmet, and lifejacket before starting on an adventurous hike to the starting point.
It's a 45 minutes hike across the clear blue Caves Branch River. At this crossing theres a rope across the river to assist you crossing. The water is waist-deep, typically. After the river crossing, we start off along a jungle trail heading upstream alongside the river.
Upon arrival at the designated starting point, your guide will brief you on the proper safety techniques for boarding & floating on your tube. From here, your guide will set you afloat through a series of cavers which periodically open up to the sunshine & jungle. Your guide will occasionally point out various Maya artifacts within the crevices of the caves. Depending on time availability, he may allow you to unboard your tube & walk up for a closer look if you wish.
Departing: Since youll be ending back at the river crossing downstream, youll only be needing to get out of the river and head back on a short trek to the parking lot. Here well deposit our tubes and then were free to change into our dry clothes before heading back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Xunanuntunich & Cave Tubing With Lunch
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- 12.5% GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- All activities
- Tubes, Helmets, Life Jackets
- Free Hotel pick up and drop off for hotels WITHIN San Ignacio Town Limits ONLY.
- Pick ups at hotels outside of San Ignacio Town Limits will incur extra charges (depending on exact location). This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off.
Exclusions for Xunanuntunich & Cave Tubing With Lunch
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for hotels OUTSIDE of San Ignacio Town Limits. (This Minor additional fee may be paid in cash upon pick-up/ drop-off).
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people (Adults) per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Adult pricing applies to all travelers above the age of 12
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Child must be a minimum of 40" in height to go on this tour.
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shared Departure Transfer: San Ignacio Hotels to Belize International Airport
- Cave Tubing and Zip line Adventure from San Ignacio
- Xunantunich and Big Rock Falls
- Belize 3 Days and 2 nights 5 tours
- Xunantunich Temples and Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure
- Waterfall Horseback Ride from San Ignacio
- Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure Tour
- Cave Tubing from San Ignacio