San Diego Trip Planner - Plan A Trip
The City of San Diego is located in the state of California along the coast of Pacific Ocean and is the eighth largest city in the United States. San Diego has plenty of sunshine and a pleasant climate which makes it an ideal tourist destination. The San Diego trip planner will help you plan your perfect trip to San Diego which offers many things to do and see like beaches, museums, gardens, zoos, stunning natural beauty and many outdoor activities.
Start building an ultimate trip plan for San diego using San Diego trip planner. Take help of below sample trip plan to create your trip.
Day 1 of San Diego Trip Planner
- Balboa Park: Museum, Park, Botanical Garden, Walking Area
Added 51.2K times in trip plans
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Address: San Diego, CA 92104, USA
Balboa Park is a 1000 acre plus park located in the heart of San Diego. Situated within this enclosure are many open spaces, gardens, playgrounds, walking trails, bicycle tracks, and green belts. This park also has many cultural & scientific events, plays, musicals, and orchestras.
- San Diego Zoo: Zoo, Family And Kids
Added 55.2K times in trip plans
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Ticket Price: 50 USD
Address: 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA
One of the most visited zoos in the United States, the San Diego zoo is famous among kids and adults alike. The zoo houses over 3,700 animals of more than 650 species. The zoo organises safari tours along with many other interactive activities for its visitors. There are also many cafes and gift shops situated within this zoo.
Review: R Egan says "Best zoo I have ever seen. Does not feel like animal jail. Well designed, huge, impossible to see everything in one day. Year pass is a great value. Good variety of animals, and their breeding programs help maintain healthy animal populations. Helpful staff, and you can drink while you explore the zoo. Food prices are reasonable, beer is a bit pricey, but at least they have good beer."
Day 2 of San Diego Trip Planner
- Old Town San Diego State Historic Park: Park, Family And Kids, Neighborhoods, Outdoors
Added 5.6K times in trip plans
Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
Address: 4002 Wallace St, San Diego, CA 92110
Review: Ashley Kaka says "Cool place, recommend going to the Battalion place across the road first, you find out some cool history things about both places there. Got a great little Mexican food and shopping area. Recommend this place for families and history buffs."
- Uss Midway Museum: History Museum, Family And Kids, Speciality Museum
Added 36.5K times in trip plans
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Ticket Price: 20 USD
Address: 910 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, United States
Located at the Navy Pier in the downtown San Diego is the USS Midway Museum. This museum feature the USS Midway aircraft carrier along with many maritime exhibitions.
Review: Johnny Sly says "Great museum and nice view to city. You can spend a lot of time walking inside all decks. Its better to go to commander center tour first because later will be more people in line for it. Also you can put a stamp on hand to go out and come back the same day (before 4pm)"
Day 3 of San Diego Trip Planner
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego:
The Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego aims at collecting, preserving, interpreting and showcasing various art forms and artefacts from 1950 to the present day.
- La Jolla open air market:
Located at La Jolla, this open-air market sells fresh-picked produce, local artwork, craft & handicraft, and other merchandise. The market is open all year round and features many restaurants & café along with live music and many events.
- Presidio Park:
Presidio Park is a city historic park where first European settlements were founded in the 18th century. The park has many historical landmarks and The Junípero Serra Museum. The park also has many walking and hiking trails.
- San Diego Convention Centre:
Located in the downtown San Diego, The San Diego Convention Centre is the primary convention centre of the city and is used for public and private meetings, conventions, exhibitions and events. Overlooking the bay, the San Diego Convention Centre offers a great panoramic view of the harbour.
- Torrey Pines State Beach:
Located just outside the city of San Diego, the Torrey Pines State Beach is located inside the Torrey Pines State Reserve. This windy beach offers a range of aquatic activities like surfing, swimming, boat rides and other water sports.
Day 4 of San Diego Trip Planner
- La Jolla Cove: Beach, Family And Kids, Water Sport
Added 17K times in trip plans
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Address: Coast Blvd, San Diego, CA 92037, United States
La Jolla Cove is a small beach surrounded by sandstone cliffs. The water at La Jolla cove is calm and visitors can indulge in activities like kayaking, snorkelling and diving along with some great food and drinks.
- Windansea Beach: Beach, Walking Area, Family And Kids
Added 6.9K times in trip plans
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Address: Windansea Beach San Diego, CA 92037
The Windansea beach is located at La Jolle just outside the city of San Diego and is perhaps one of the most beautiful rocky beaches on the West Coast. The beach has many surf shacks, and is a popular surfing hotspot. Underwater reefs are another major attraction at the Windansea Beach.
- Old Point Loma Lighthouse And Cabrillo National Monument: Light House, Landmark, Walking Area, Monument
Added 26.4K times in trip plans
Ticket Price: 10 USD
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Address: Cabrillo National Monument, 1800 Cabrillo Memorial Dr, San Diego, CA 92106
Situated in the Cabrillo National Monument, the Old Point Loma Lighthouse was built in 1855. The park has some great walking and hiking trails.
Review: C G Ellison says "Fascinating place that tells you the true history of the area. A little haven overlooking the city and port. Well worth a visit but be aware of closing times and the charge is per car not per person!
Day 5 of San Diego Trip Planner
- Gaslamp Quarter: Gaslamp Quarter is located in downtown San Diego and is famous for entertainment and nightlife scenes. This neighbourhood has many Victorian style buildings along with a few high-rise buildings, restaurants, bars, shopping centres and many events.
- Seaport Village: Along the harbour in the downtown San Diego is the Seaport Village, a major shopping and dining arena. During summers, this place hosts many events like live music and painting.
- Old Point Loma Lighthouse and Cabrillo National Monument: Situated in the Cabrillo National Monument, the Old Point Loma Lighthouse was built in 1855. The park has some great walking and hiking trails.
Plan your San Diego Road Trip
Yosemite National Park
Home to the iconic granite cliffs of El Capitan and Half Dome, Yosemite National Park is a six-hour drive from San Diego. Plan your trip to Yosemite National Park to witness what it is famous for! Its giant, ancient sequoia trees, waterfalls, lakes, deep-valleys, and hiking trails.
Located between Carmel and San Simeon, Big Sur is a stretch along California’s central coast. Planning a trip to Big Sur includes driving along its winding turns, seaside cliffs and misty mountains. Big Sur has many state parks near it which are ideal for hiking, camping and beachcombing.
Located on the United States and Mexico border, Tijuana is situated in Baja California in Mexico and is voted as one of the best sites to visit by a leading newspaper publisher. Attractions in Tijuana include eclectic wall and street art, historic buildings, grand architecture, food and beer.
Travel Planning To San Diego and Neighbourhood
Have a spare day? Make the most of it by visiting the fog-studded yet majestic city of San Francisco. Take help of the San Francisco trip planner. San Francisco is located on a peninsula that is surrounded by Pacific Ocean. Perhaps the most iconic site on the West Coast is the Golden Gate Bridge of San Francisco. Other attraction in San Francisco include Fisherman’s Wharf, Union Square, Alcatraz Island, Lombard Street, and Pier 39.
Get an idea for planning your trip to L.A. Browse points of attractions, accommodation, book tickets and create an unbeatable trip for your holiday. The city of Los Angeles is a hub for America’s film and television industry. This sprawling city is home to some of the most well-known faces from the world’s entertainment industry. Attractions in Los Angeles include the iconic ‘Hollywood’ sign, production studios such as Paramount Pictures, Universal and Warner Brothers, Hollywood Boulevard, Rodeo Drive, the Walk of Fame, and Hollywood celebrity home tours.
This city is located in the close proximity of a major city Palm Springs, United States. So, ideally any vacation planner would recommend you to visit Palm Springs for its bountiful attractions like Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, Desert Riviera Hotel, Hotel California on your trip to San Diego. Get in the character of the city, this city requires at least of 1 to 2 number of days of exploration.
Las Vegas is perhaps the most vibrant and twinkly city in the United States. Las Vegas is famous for its fountains, casinos and nightclubs. Attractions in Las Vegas include The Strip, The Venetian, Bellagio, The Mirage, and Fremont Street.
Located along the coast of Pacific Ocean, Carlsbad is a sea-side resort city. Attractions in Carlsbad include Legoland California, The Flower Fields, Carlsbad State Beach, Craftsmanship Museum and many more. Plan a trip to Carlsbad which is also referred to as “The Village by the Sea” and enjoy a typical sunny California holiday.
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Anza-Borrego Desert State park is located within the Colorado Desert and is California’s largest state park. Visit Anza-Borrego Desert State park that is most famous for its wildflowers. Other activities include hiking, camping, mountain biking, and star gazing.
Plan a trip to Chula Vista which is known for its parks, amphitheatres, and nightlife. Top sights in Chula Vista include Aquatic San Diego, Living Coast Discovery Centre, Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Centre, Bayside Park, and San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
A beach city in the state of California, a trip to Encinitas will let you enjoy some of the best attractions of California like the Moonlight Beach, San Diego Botanic Garden, San Elijo State Beach, and the Leucadia State Beach.
Trip Planning Tool & Tips
Using San Diego Trip Planner
Use TripHobo’s San Diego trip planner to plan your next San Diego trip. Enter your start city in ‘From City’ and your destination city in ‘To City’ and let the transit planner come up with the best way for you to reach your destination. This will include either flight, rail, or bus option or even a combination of two or more. You can also choose to return back to your start city or choose to end your trip in another city.
Once you have entered your destination, the next thing that you need to decide are your travel dates and the duration of your stay. Once you have entered your travel dates, the San Diego trip planner will suggest you a trip plan or let you prepare your own San Diego itinerary.
Choose from various transportation options using the transit planner and once you have decided on your flight, the planner will give you all the details including flight number, the arrival and departure timings. Once your duration of stay is finalised, the San Diego trip planner will suggest you a range of accommodation options to choose from like hotels and Airbnb. Moreover, the planner will also let you save and instantly book the hotels.
Depending upon your purpose of travel and interest, you will have to make a list of attractions and sites that you want to visit/see in San Diego. Use Sand Diego attraction planner to add sightseeing and tours to your travel planner. The planner’s ‘Drag & Drop’ feature helps you manage your day plans with ease. The itinerary planner will also suggest you how to get around in San Diego and the time take for you to reach from one point of interest to another. The San Diego trip planner will also let you choose from and instantly book San Diego sightseeing tours.
San Diego Trip Planning Tool
- Planning a trip to San Diego can be quick and easy. You can pick the attractions that suit your taste and add them to your custom-made multy-city trip plan for your trip.
- Finding best way to travel to San Diego: Kick-start by booking a flight to the city. If you've already booked one, you can add the flight details to your trip plan. Need more suggestions? Check out other routes like rail, bus and cab and choose the one that suits you based on duration and cost of travel.
- San Diego Group Trip Planner: One distinctive feature of the San Diego trip planner is the group planning tool. This tool will help you add your travel buddies to a group where you all can chat, create and share your San Diego travel plan. As you go on planning you San Diego itinerary, the budget planner adds the corresponding costs for flights, hotels, and tours. You can even add an estimated amount that you plan to spend on shopping, food and other activities to get a comprehensive trip cost.
- San Diego budget calculator: Now get real time budget for your San Diego trip under 'Trip Budget'. The San Diego travel planner estimates the cost of your travel by considering transport, hotel stay, and otehr expenses.
- Book your stay in San Diego: With this custom trip planner, you can explore and add hotels, hostels and resorts that suit your budget. To discover the local culinary culture, you can pick authentic restaurants and add them to your plan.
- Refer San Diego trip plans created by fellow travelers: If you are clueless about the city and don't want to overwhelm yourself with creating a trip plan of your own, you can use the suggest feature of TripHobo and our itinerary maker will design a plan for you. Another interesting alternative to get a reliable, realistic trip plan is to browse the trip plans created by fellow travellers and users of TripHobo worldwide.
- Booking activities: Along with giving you all the information on the various attractions in the city , this journey planner takes into consideration other tours and activities that can become an integral part of your visit.
- San Diego trip planning on map: To help you know of your location and its distance from other attractions, the travel map is offered to the user in the same window. Whether it is through smart-phones or laptops, you can easily create trip plans and access them anywhere and everywhere. You can also download a copy for reference, print one for your journal and share it with friends and family on social media. San Diego is an affair to remember, follow this apt itinerary of the place and return home with a bunch of memories.
Everything you need to know before planning a trip to San Diego
- Visa: Most of the non-U.S. citizens need a visa to enter the United States. To visit San Diego, visitors will need to obtain a valid U.S visa. Kindly refer to the official website of the US Embassy in your country to check for procedure and documents required to obtain a U.S visa.
- It is recommended to make reservations in advance before visiting the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld
- All major attractions and parks have public restrooms
- Check the weather, beach rules and safety before visiting the beaches
- If visiting Gaslamp, East Village, and North Park, dress code is strictly enforced. Kindly read the instructions before you pack for your San Diego trip
- Since 2014, smoking is strictly prohibited at public place
- Restaurant tip is 15% or you can just double the taxes
- Sales tax in San Diego is 8%
- San Diego Hotel tax is 10.5%
- Legal drinking age in San Diego is 21