Black ChurchCurrently Closed
- Address: Curtea Johannes Honterus 2, Brașov 500025, Romania, Brasov
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 4 RON
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Point Of Interest
Built by the German Community of Brasov, the Black Church is the largest Lutheran church in the region. The church dates back to the 14th century and was built on the grounds of an older church that was destroyed by Mongols in 1242.
The name of the church comes from the time when the Greta Fire of 1689 covered the entire church with black soot. Today, the church is loved for its Gothic architecture that merges with Baroque design. This unique feature was the result of extensive restorations on the original true Gothic design. In spite of its renovation, the church still maintains its old-world charm. The interiors come to life with beautiful rugs that were donated from Transylvanian Saxon merchants from the 15th to the 17th century.
Other highlight of the church include:
- The biggest six-ton bell in Romania that is placed here
- The bust of John the Baptist along with other pieces like the Nativity, Salvator Mundi sculpture , statue of an archangel and depictions of saints believed to be the Four Evangelists (believed to be completed from 1430 and 1450).
- The Golden gate
- Sculptures seen on the exterior walls
- Statue of Mary and Jesus featuring the coat of arms
- A 4,000 pipe organ built by August Buchholz that dates back to the early 19th century
The place has weekly concerts complete with a choir service- something that you simply must not miss!
General admission prices:
- Adults: Romanian lei 10
- Students: Romanian lei 6 (with student card)
- Children Romanian lei 3
Organ concert ticker price:
- Black Church Summer Music Program: Romanian lei 12
- Children under the age of 7 and students: Free
- For Entrance Concerts the entrance ticket: Romanian lei 20 (New Year Concert or other big concerts)
- Exceptional concerts have tickets ranging from Romanian lei 15 to Romanian lei 25. In these cases there are no special offers or discounts.
- The Ticket Office closes 15 minutes before the scheduled time to end the program.
- For religious ceremonies, the visiting program is interrupted for 2 hours.
- Organ concerts are held only during the summer: (tickets sold from 5.30 pm) June and September: Tuesday (6.00 pm), July and August: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (6.00 pm)
- By Bus: Rat Brasov - Black Church
- By Train: Bartolomeu (3.4 kilometers away)
- By Taxis By renting a Bicycle
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brasov before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brasov and book an accommodation of your choice.
A story is told about the young son of one of the stone masons employed in the building of the church. The boy would come to the church during construction and bring some food and water to his father and other workers. Sadly, the boy, who became very much befriended by the workers, was killed in a construction accident. The masons carved and dedicated a statue of the boy which can be seen high up on a spire of the church.
One of a kind, beautiful piece of art. Right now (August 2018) it's under renovation (the rooftop ) so it will get even nicer after this. Proud to have this one in Romania ! Definitely a must see while in Brașov.
Una dintre cele mai frumoase și impresionante biserici din Romania. Un obiectiv obligatoriu daca vizitezi Brașovul. Vara sunt organizate concerte de orgă care nu trebuie ratate. O experiență frumoasă parte rară la noi in țară.
Beautiful cathedral, one of a kind. A place full of history. I've seen it hundreds of times and it's impressive every time
A magnificent church, blackened by a fire centuries ago. Its high gothic arches are fabulous. Unfortunately no photography is allowed inside. The largest organ in romania is in this church and you can hear it being played Tuesdays at 6pm. Beautiful building with many cafes and the rope street the narrowest in Europe only a short walk away.