Black Church343 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Curtea Johannes Honterus 2, Brașov 500025, Romania, Brasov
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 4 RON
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Built by the German Community of Brasov, the Black Church is the largest Lutheran church in the region. The church dates back to the 14th century and was built on the grounds of an older church that was destroyed by Mongols in 1242.
The name of the church comes from the time when the Greta Fire of 1689 covered the entire church with black soot. Today, the church is loved for its Gothic architecture that merges with Baroque design. This unique feature was the result of extensive restorations on the original true Gothic design. In spite of its renovation, the church still maintains its old-world charm. The interiors come to life with beautiful rugs that were donated from Transylvanian Saxon merchants from the 15th to the 17th century.
Other highlight of the church include:
- The biggest six-ton bell in Romania that is placed here
- The bust of John the Baptist along with other pieces like the Nativity, Salvator Mundi sculpture , statue of an archangel and depictions of saints believed to be the Four Evangelists (believed to be completed from 1430 and 1450).
- The Golden gate
- Sculptures seen on the exterior walls
- Statue of Mary and Jesus featuring the coat of arms
- A 4,000 pipe organ built by August Buchholz that dates back to the early 19th century
The place has weekly concerts complete with a choir service- something that you simply must not miss!
Entrance Ticket Details For Black Church
General admission prices:
- Adults: Romanian lei 10
- Students: Romanian lei 6 (with student card)
- Children Romanian lei 3
Organ concert ticker price:
- Black Church Summer Music Program: Romanian lei 12
- Children under the age of 7 and students: Free
- For Entrance Concerts the entrance ticket: Romanian lei 20 (New Year Concert or other big concerts)
- Exceptional concerts have tickets ranging from Romanian lei 15 to Romanian lei 25. In these cases there are no special offers or discounts.
Black Church Hours
- The Ticket Office closes 15 minutes before the scheduled time to end the program.
- For religious ceremonies, the visiting program is interrupted for 2 hours.
- Organ concerts are held only during the summer: (tickets sold from 5.30 pm) June and September: Tuesday (6.00 pm), July and August: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (6.00 pm)
How to Reach Black Church
- By Bus: Rat Brasov - Black Church
- By Train: Bartolomeu (3.4 kilometers away)
- By Taxis By renting a Bicycle
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brasov before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brasov and book an accommodation of your choice.