Serralves is a beacon of contemporary art and architecture not just in Portugal but all over the world. Serralves is an institution consisting of a Contemporary Art museum, a park and an auditorium. All three spaces are devoted to generate public interest in contemporary art and are managed by the Serralves Foundation.
Since its inception in 1999, the museum’s Art Deco and Modernist design has received numerous awards. It was the brainchild of the architect, Alvaro Siza Vieira and features 14 galleries over 13,000 sq. meters.
- Serralves em Festa is an annual art festival held at the Serralves Museum towards the end of May. It includes a wide variety of performances, exhibitions, family oriented activities, musical concerts, dance and drama. The festival is free for all and has become one of the largest contemporary art fests across Europe.
- A permanent feature of Serralves is the promotion of contemporary art by Portuguese and international artists. Often, musical performances and film features are used to enliven these exhibitions.
- The Serralves Park is a beautiful area devoted to the leisure of all visitors. It is a huge farmland which also features modernist sculptures at every step. The Park premises are also used for musical and dance performances.
Guided tours for the Museum and Park are available in both English and Portuguese. From time to time, the museum also hosts special activities for families.
Serralves Travel Tips
- The restaurant at the Serralves Museum features a good lunch buffet.
- The exhibitions at Serralves are temporary and are changed every few months. Confirm details on their website before making a visit.
Entrance Ticket Details For Serralves
- The ticket price includes both Museum and Park.
- Children, senior citizens and Porto Card holders will get a 50 % discount on the ticket price.
- Visitors under the age of 18 can enter for free.
- On Sundays, visitors are allowed free entry till 1:00 pm.
- Opening hours for Serralves vary from season to season. Refer to their website for more details.
How to Reach Serralves
- By bus: Bus no. 201, 203, 502, 504 – Serralves Station
- By Metro: Line A, B, C, D – Casa da Musica Station and connect via the bus.
- Restaurante De Serralves
- Churrasqueira Marechal
- Restaurante Tete A Tete
- Cufra Restaurante
- Pao Quente e Confeitaria
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Porto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Porto and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.47% of people who visit Porto include Serralves in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
63.57% of people start their Serralves visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Serralves
92.96% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Serralves