Armadale CastleCurrently Closed
- Address: Armadale, Isle of Skye IV45 8RS, United Kingdom
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1471844305
- Ticket Price: 9 GBP
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Armadale Castle - Review
Also known as Clan Donald Skye, Armadale castle is a 20,000-acre highland estate on the Sleat peninsula in south Skye. The estate was once a part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald, and later on it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971. Since then, the site has been used to display the history and traditions of Clan Donald and the Lordship of the Isles. As you enter inside the estate, you can take long walks which offer exemplary views of eastwards across the Sound of Sleat to Knoydart, or on the west of the peninsula across to the Cuillin mountain range. The gardens are home to wildlife species including red deer, golden eagles and sea eagles. As for the castle, part of it has been restored and the remaining ruins have been re-designed. The nearby attractions to the estate includes:
- Library and the Study Center
- Shop at the Gatehouse.
- Stables Cafe
Armadale Castle Information
- During periods of inclement weather, it may be necessary to close the gardens for safety reasons.
- Dogs are welcome in the Gardens and nature trails but must be kept under vigilance at all times.
Armadale Castle Ticket Prices
- Children: £ 5.50
- Family: £ 25.00, Family week ticket £ 45.00
- Seniors/Disabled/Student: £ 6.95, Under 5’s free
- Pre-booked groups of 10 or more: £ 6.95,
- Local (resident within Sleat peninsula, proof required): £ 2.50
How To reach Armadale Castle by Public Transport
- At Pier is the closest bus stop.
- Hire a taxi.
- Can be reached on foot as well on a cycle.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Armadale before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Armadale and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Armadale Castle
95% of people who visit Armadale include Armadale Castle in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
45.9% of people start their Armadale Castle visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Armadale Castle
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Armadale Castle
Armadale Castle Map
Armadale Castle Trips
4 Views14 Days 13 Nights14 Day Trip to Staffin, Aird Of Sleat, Isle Of SkyBy: Guest UserCity: Isle Of Skye, Dunvegan, Sleat, Portree, Staffin
Armadale Castle, Armadale Reviews
Due to the weather and change of plans, I came by for a visit today. The museum tour was very informative and thoughtfully designed. Your staff was friendly and helpful all over - with gift shop clerk carefully packing my purchases to protect them during my travels. The paths and trails outside are well kept and marked. Your gardens must be stunning in the sunshine (it was overcast with a little drizzle here and there for me). As a landscape/nature photographer, I was delighted by the wide variety of plants and flowers - so much to see. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and was glad my plans had shifted so I had time to see everything.
I really liked this place. The falconer was awesome. Gardens lovely. Take walking shoes
A lovely museum and a beautiful old castle. You can’t enter what’s left from the castle but even from the outside it’s really nice. There are different walking routes around the museum, we ended up doing a beautiful 2 hours walk and having dinner in the really nice Tapas Restaurant Gasta at Armadale Castle.
Don't really want to say how good this place is in case it gets as busy as the rest of Skye. Almost a hidden gem on the Sleat Penninsula. Great Museum, fabulous gardens and friendly staff. You can eat here as well.
READ BEFORE GOING: For £8pp, you get to glance at the ruins of a castle. Can't even stand next to them because it's "dangerous." So you pay that amount to glance at ruins from afar and go to a decent museum.
All QuestionsArmadale castle
- Associazione Silenziosi Operai Della Croce
- Scale Gemonie
- Istituto Pie Operaie Concezioniste
- Produzioni Artistche Solari
- Teatro Ivelise
- Chiesa S. Maria Causa Nostrae Laetitiae
- Armando Giuffrida
- Museo Nazionale Dell'Alto Medioevo
- New Planet Production SRL
- Colautti Pio Giorgio
- Monastero Domenicano Dei Santi Domenico E Sisto
- Istituto Pia Società Figlie Di S. Paolo
Find places near Armadale Castle, Armadale
The Shed Armadale Pier Head0.535 km away
Pasta Shed The Pier0.004 km away
The Stables Restaurant -1.24 km away
Armadale , o/s Clan Donald Centre -0.896 km away
Homeleigh Bed & Breakfast Ardvasar Hotel, Sleat0.749 km away
Morar Bed and Breakfast 2 Calgary0.717 km away
Homeleigh -0.743 km away