Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis, Saint Louis
Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis, Saint Louis - Address
Address: 4431 Lindell Blvd, St Louis, MO 63108, United States
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 6.3K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis, Saint Louis
Like a fairytale castle dedicated to the Christian son of God, the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis is both a stunning piece of craftsmanship as well as a tranquil, sober place of worship. Its green domes shine in the St. Louis sun and match the colour of the lush green trees growing around the church which softly frame the cathedral.
Plans for the cathedral began under the Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick in the 1870s and 1880s, and a fund was created for the construction of the building by Archbishop John Joseph Kain. The initiative for construction only began after the elevation of Archbishop John J. Glennon. Built between 1907 and 1914, this is the Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis. The structure is 365 feet high, 204 feet wide and can hold up to 5000 visitors. The church is well known for its beautifully crafted mosaic patterns and walls that adorn its inner chambers and it enthralls worshippers and art lovers alike.
- The highlight of this cathedral is its stunning mosaic installations, and is home to the largest collection of mosaic in the world. Imagine walking through its holy doors and watching sunlight stream into the room, bursting with glittering light. Glowing depictions of scenes from the bible and significant church events are illuminated, lending an ethereal glow to the environment.
- If you make your way to the basement, you’ll find a little museum dedicated to the artifacts found inside the cathedral. You’ll also find a pretty little chapel, dedicated to the former leaders of the archdiocese. There’s also a crypt which serves as the final resting place for three cardinals and an archbishop.
- Daniel Schlafly was a Catholic layman who was devoted to racial justice and peace, and his wife, in his honour, gifted a stunning sculpture to the church. Placed in the lawn outside, the statue features a winged angel with African American features, standing behind three children with Hispanic, Asian and European features, playing a song of peace on their instruments.
Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis Information
- Guided tours are available during weekdays between 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Please contact the tour office at 314-373-8241 for tour reservations.
- Reservations are not needed for Sunday tours unless you are bringing in a large group.
- The church requests that visitors who are not participating in Mass wait to visit the Cathedral Basilica until the completion of daily Mass.
- It is recommended that visitors call and ensure the church is available, especially on the weekends, due to weddings, Archdiocesan events and other weekend activities.
- Most of the Cathedral Basilica is handicap accessible, including the main nave of the church, two of the four side chapels, and the gift shop.
Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis Opening and Closing Hours
- Daily Masses are celebrated.
- Monday – Friday at 7:00 am, 8:00 am, and 12:05 pm.
- Saturday at 8:00 a.m, with a vigil Mass at 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday Masses are celebrated at 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.
How To reach Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis by Public Transport
- Get off at the ‘Central West End’ MetroLink stop and take a bus to the church.
Restaurants Near Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis
- Sub Zero Vodka Bar (American, Burgers)
- Scottish Arms (European, Irish)
- Brasserie by Niche (French)
- Gringo (Mexican)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Saint Louis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Saint Louis and book an accommodation of your choice.
Cathedral Basilica Of Saint Louis, Saint Louis Reviews - Write a Review
A magnificent work of art that rivals the Vatican. Smartphone photos cannot do justice to the mosaics. If you don't have a camera, I suggest a few picture postcards that are available in the gift shop. Don't forget to explore the Museum on the lower level. It provides a true appreciation of the difficulty and artistry required to create so much beauty. I found ample free street parking on a Sunday after lunch.
+JMJ Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! House of Prayer and Worship. While on Retreat in High Ridge MO, also made time to visit area Churches. Was so glad to be able to stop in for a moment to pray, then to walk around in admiration of the beautiful architecture, statues, and artwork displayed for the honor and glory of God, Creator of all that is beautiful. Stepping into a beautiful building dedicated to placing before the eyes of men, women, and children a little bit of the supernatural beauty of Heaven always refreshes my soul. This was a very personal visit between me and God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Oh! so lovely for a brief respite from the tumult of life's cares.
I’ve seen things like this in pictures but never in real life. Took my breath away. Schola Cantorum from Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic School from Topeka, KS had the privilege of singing at the Cathedral Basilica
An architectural marvel. The inside is completely designed with mosaic, which was the main attraction to me. The basilica is close to Central West End. Very calming experience. Visitors will not be allowed during mass, weddings etc. Check before you go.
Beautiful cathedra! Lovely architecture. And this is not in Spain but in St. Louis