St. Stephan's Church710 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Kleine Weißgasse 12, 55116 Mainz, Germany
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +490-6131231640
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Town
This thousand year old Gothic collegiate church was originally built on the highest hill in town. The church you see today however was built in the 14th century. It is one of the oldest and most important churches around. The church used to have a Baroque facade that was destroyed in an explosion in the 19th century. Heavily damaged in World War II, Saint Stephen’s never quite recovered. The highlights are as follows:
- A large 66 metres high octagonal bell tower
- Stained-glass windows by Russian Jewish artist Marc Chagall which depicts scenes from the Old Testament
- 13th century altar Mensa
- 15th-century tabernacle
St. Stephan's Church Travel Tips
- Visit during a sunny day.
- The surrounding area is very beautiful.
- Visit during a mass.
St. Stephan's Church Hours
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 06.30 pm.
- Saturday 06:00 pm.
- Sunday 11:00 am.
- 1st Tuesday in the month 3pm, other Tuesdays 09:00 am.
- Barrio Alto
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mainz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mainz and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Mainz include St. Stephan's Church in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
46.63% of people start their St. Stephan's Church visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St. Stephan's Church
61.33% of people prefer walking in order to reach St. Stephan's Church