St. Stephan's Church, Mainz
About St. Stephan's Church, Mainz
St. Stephan's Church, Mainz - Address, Phone Number
Address: Kleine Weißgasse 12, 55116 Mainz, Germany
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 4.1K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Tour, Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Town
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This thousand year old Gothic collegiate church was originally built on the highest hill in town. The church you see today however was built in the 14th century. It is one of the oldest and most important churches around. The church used to have a Baroque facade that was destroyed in an explosion in the 19th century. Heavily damaged in World War II, Saint Stephen’s never quite recovered. The highlights are as follows:
- A large 66 metres high octagonal bell tower
- Stained-glass windows by Russian Jewish artist Marc Chagall which depicts scenes from the Old Testament
- 13th century altar Mensa
- 15th-century tabernacle
St. Stephan's Church Information
- Visit during a sunny day.
- The surrounding area is very beautiful.
- Visit during a mass.
St. Stephan's Church Opening and Closing Hours
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 06.30 pm.
- Saturday 06:00 pm.
- Sunday 11:00 am.
- 1st Tuesday in the month 3pm, other Tuesdays 09:00 am.
Restaurants Near St. Stephan's Church
- Barrio Alto
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mainz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mainz and book an accommodation of your choice.
St. Stephan's Church, Mainz Reviews - Write a Review
Totally worth to pay a short visit. Especially with sun light the blue Chagall windows look just fabulous!
A very nice place, with a beautiful blue light and remarkable windows by Chagall.
Great stained glass windows and history
Absolutely stunning as a unique blue tint falls on the whole cathedral. Unlike any i had seen. Worth a stop.
A must see if you are in Mainz. Windows designed and made by Chagall and are all in shades of blue. See if you can go when the sun shines bright.
- Nearby Attractions
- Cinestar Mainz
- Burg Sooneck
- St. Peter
- St Ignazkirche
- Diocesan Museum
- Unterhaus - Mainzer Forum Theater
- Neuapostolische Kirche
- Top Hotel Hammer
- Weinstube Hottum
- Hotel Atrium
- Mainz Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Mainz
- What to See in 48 Hours in Mainz
- What to See in 72 Hours in Mainz
- How to Spend 5 Days in Mainz
- How to Spend 6 Days in Mainz
- How to Spend 7 Days in Mainz