Opened for tourist in the year 1961, this site has a museum, a memorial and a concentration camp from the Nazi era to showcase. It is an overwhelming place, in terms of the history and the gory past that it hides. The site has witnessed years of military use. The memorial also encompasses a site used as a camp, though most of it was under military possession till the year 1990. The museum displays the daily life of the camp, the struggles of the prisoners, their opposition and their final liberation. There is the concentration camp as well, which is again a disheartening site, in terms of the stories it tells through its grey walls and cells. It is said that not just the Jews but anyone who showed resistance or disagreed with the Nazis were condemned to this concentration camp. You can go for guided tours to this place. The unfortunate part is that the Germans were as good in their architecture and engineering as they were in killing. Hence, the place can be unsettling for some.
Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen Travel Tips
- Please note, that dogs are not permitted within the memorial grounds.
- Following the signs to the memorial by foot, takes around 20 minutes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen
- The price of guided tours is €15 for up to 15 people, and €25 for up to 30 people.
- Tours in foreign languages incur an extra charge of €25 per group.
- Themed tours cost €3 or €2 (discounted).
Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen Hours
- Timings for Archive and Library: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm from Tuesday to Friday.
- Visitor Service timing: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm from Monday to Friday.
How to Reach Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen
- By bus: Bus line 804 and Bus line 821 to Sachsenhausen memorial.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Oranienburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Oranienburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Oranienburg include Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
73.61% of people start their Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen
93.59% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Memorial And Museum Sachsenhausen