Shri Jagannath Temple372 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Temple Road, Puri, Odisha 752001, India
- Timings: 05:00 am - 11:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-6752222002
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Library, Landmark, Family And Kids
Jagannath Temple in Puri is a well-known, sacred Hindu Temple devoted to Jagannath. The construction of this temple began under the reign of King of Kalinga. Legend says that Jagannath was actually worshiped by a Savar king, Nella Madhaba. The entire temple complex covers around 400,000 square feet area.
Inside the complex, there are four distinct structures:
- Garba Griha or Vimana or Deula
- Nata Mandir or Natamandir
Apart from the main temple, there are many other minor temples located inside the premise. They are:
- Vimala Temple – Where the feet of Goddess Sati fell.
- Mahalakshmi Temple - Where naivedya that is offered to Lord Jagannath is prepared.
- Kanchi Ganesh Temple – This temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
Visit this temple premise during RathYatra, when the whole temple is decked up and the three deity of the temple: Lord Jagannath, Lord Balaram and Goddess Subhadra are brought out and taken on a chariot ride. And the site is worth watching.
Other than the festival, the everyday bhog (god’s food) is said to be another reason for which thousands of visitors visit the temple.
Shri Jagannath Temple Travel Tips
- Follow the Hindu rituals like leaving your shoes outside the temple.
- Observe absolute silence inside the temple.
- Respect the religious rituals and sentiments.
- Be decently dressed.
- Seek permission before taking any photographs inside the temple.
Entrance Ticket Details For Shri Jagannath Temple
- Entry is free.
Shri Jagannath Temple Hours
- The temple is closed in the afternoon for lunch break. Ask the authorities about the timing details.
How to Reach Shri Jagannath Temple
- By hired car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Puri before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Puri and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Puri include Shri Jagannath Temple in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
27.03% of people start their Shri Jagannath Temple visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shri Jagannath Temple
91.43% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shri Jagannath Temple