Shri Jagannath TempleCurrently Closed
- Address: Temple Road, Puri, Odisha 752001, India
- Timings: 05:00 am - 11:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-6752222002
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Must See, Religious Site, Temple, Library, Landmark, Family And Kids, Point Of Interest
Jagannath Temple in Puri is a well-known, sacred Hindu Temple devoted to Jagannath. The construction of this temple began under the reign of King of Kalinga. Legend says that Jagannath was actually worshiped by a Savar king, Nella Madhaba. The entire temple complex covers around 400,000 square feet area.
Inside the complex, there are four distinct structures:
- Garba Griha or Vimana or Deula
- Nata Mandir or Natamandir
Apart from the main temple, there are many other minor temples located inside the premise. They are:
- Vimala Temple – Where the feet of Goddess Sati fell.
- Mahalakshmi Temple - Where naivedya that is offered to Lord Jagannath is prepared.
- Kanchi Ganesh Temple – This temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
Visit this temple premise during RathYatra, when the whole temple is decked up and the three deity of the temple: Lord Jagannath, Lord Balaram and Goddess Subhadra are brought out and taken on a chariot ride. And the site is worth watching.
Other than the festival, the everyday bhog (god’s food) is said to be another reason for which thousands of visitors visit the temple.
- Follow the Hindu rituals like leaving your shoes outside the temple.
- Observe absolute silence inside the temple.
- Respect the religious rituals and sentiments.
- Be decently dressed.
- Seek permission before taking any photographs inside the temple.
- Entry is free.
- The temple is closed in the afternoon for lunch break. Ask the authorities about the timing details.
- By hired car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Puri before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Puri and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Puri include Shri Jagannath Temple in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
27.03% of people start their Shri Jagannath Temple visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shri Jagannath Temple
91.43% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shri Jagannath Temple
Good place. Its an another temple in the India which attracts huge devotees round the globe. I visited here in my childhood and loved the architecture of the interiors. The spiritual satisfaction which one can get here is amazing. Loved the way how people worship and have faith in God. I was purely pleased down here. Loved It.
Famous temple in PURI. Power full God bless all. Peaceful location. Temple atmosphere is very good and clean. Peaceful famous temple .Pollution free Jon. Railway station is nearby. Transport communicate is very good and helpful. Local people is very good and helpful and friendly behaviour. Power full God bless all...
This place is gradually loosing its spiritual space. The pundits inside the temple needs to be checked and they need to learn to behave like scholars than vendors. Cleanliness too is a concern here.
Just love this place and temple ... Such an amazing temple of lord Jagannath. And a nice sea beech... Make the heart fill with love and devotion. And Puri the best place to explore in India . But you have aware of on your properties it is the most crowded place in Odisha.
Revered by all people following Hindu religion. Located near to sea shore of Bay of Bengal, it's an architectural beauty. Like all renowned temples, following rituals here is not fully possible without assistance of local tout called Panda. Otherwise, passing time here is really worthwhile from ritualistic point of view.